Super Contributor

G.I.L.I. HANDBAG - SO SAD, HAD TO RETURN IT !

I'm so very sad, after receiving my beautiful croco G.I.L.I. handbag, I had to finally make the decision to return it, and am I blue !

Super Contributor

Re: G.I.L.I. HANDBAG - SO SAD, HAD TO RETURN IT !

It's beautiful and I just love the pattern and the leather ! I had to talk myself into buying it, and now had to force myself in to returning it this morning. I could just weep ! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I measured it on paper before purchasing it, but when I took it out of the box and put it over my shoulder I was shocked ! It was enormous on my body ! Unless most of you are nearly 6 feet tall, I don't know how you can carry a handbag that size without feeling odd. I think they wrote the measurements down wrong on the graphic on line, as mine measured even larger !

Now I am petite, but it still looked ridiculous on me. The zipper line at the top of the bag was parallel with my thigh where it joins my body, and the bottom of the bag hung about 3 inches below my kneecaps. I looked like a little tiny girl playing dress up with her Mommy's biggest purse. It was so wide when I turned sideways you couldn't see my body !

I tried every way in the world to justify it, but the longer I looked in the mirror, I knew I had to give it up.

I was so very sad, I knew I wouldn't be able to ever buy others in different colors either.

I can't believe Lisa R. and all of you would want to carry a handbag that large for everyday use. It's large enough to be considered luggage !

Hope you enjoy yours !

Trusted Contributor

I'm 5'3" and petite, but I'm still giving it a shot. LOL. I do carry large orYANY's so it might not bother me. I did send back the Roma II, but I can't remember if size was a factor. I got the aubergine and hated the color. It seemed so plain. I ordered the nude ostrich, but diddled too long. I feel like I should have gotten the cream snake or the black. I'm hoping there are returns, but I may feel like you do, that it's too big.

Valued Contributor

I am only five feet one inches tall - petite frame - and I love the look of the GILI. I think it depends on what look you want. Mine looks great against my frame. Over time, I find myself pulling out the "bigger" bags in my collection (which is mostly DB, also Brahmin, Oryany, Coach). But if it isn't your style, its not worth the money!

I'm not sure I understand how yours falls so low below your knees. I am very shortwaisted.. when I put it over my shoulder it only goes down to right below my hip. In some ways - being petite makes it easier to wear it over the shoulder. If you are - why are you using the long strap?

Respected Contributor

Big bags are my favorite and I am 5'5"". Little bags look silly to me and dated.

Super Contributor

Oh I HATE little bags. I've always carried large bags, usually hobo's. I don't know why this one was so very, very huge. Theygave the measurements as 14Wx12H but mine was 16.5W and 14H. The bag was such a huge pouch it just looked laughable, not chic at all. I would have kept it if I thought I wouldn't have been laughed off the streets. I could have sat in it.

I think it was a mistake, a fluke.

Valued Contributor

Not sure where you got your measurements from but per item description: Measures approximately 17""W x 10-1/2""H x 5""D with a 9"" handle drop and a 23"" to 26"" strap drop
Trusted Contributor

Wonder where the OP got her measurements, as, to the bag size she was expecting? This is a large bag, but i love it, and certainly don't think of it as freakishly large!
Frequent Contributor

I loved the black...the only thing missing is an attached key fob cord like the Dooney bags have. Easy to carry, though.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/31/2014 Remee said:

I'm so very sad, after receiving my beautiful croco G.I.L.I. handbag, I had to finally make the decision to return it, and am I blue !

Remee, I am in the same boat as you. I just received the natural in the ostrich and was worried before I got it out of the box because it looked so big. I keep trying it on hoping to convince myself that is doesn't look odd on me because of the size. I'm still trying to decide. I really wanted it to work! I'm 5'1. I absolutely love the look of the bag when presented and it didn't look to be so big!