Honored Contributor

I’ve always loved shoes. I used to try on my mom’s beautiful dress shoes when I was a child. I only had 4 pairs as a child. School shoe, tennis shoe, black patent & white patent dress shoes. In high school & college, I had a few more pairs, but definitely less than 10.

I started my shoe collection when I began my career & had a full time job. When I moved from my first apartment to my second one, I had a lot of shoe boxes - at least 20. After that it just continued to grow. I had expendable money and most of it went to clothes & shoes.

At its largest, my collection was about 90 pairs. I decided it was too much, so after years of purging, reduced buying, & self control, I now have 28 pairs. It’s always a work in progress though. I’ve been wanting to go clothes & shoe shopping for months, but I haven’t been inside any stores like that since early March. I rarely buy shoes online so I haven’t been too tempted to do that, although I have looked online. 😉

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Your stories always light up where ever you post!!!!Smiley Happy

hearts colorfulheart Sticker by Hustle101 Online

Honored Contributor

My love affair with shoes began when I was quite young.  We owned the largest fine shoe store in town from WW1-1980.  

I started out with loafers for school that had a gold bee on the vamp.  Then a caramel pair came in called "palomino".

From that I went to Pappagallo flats in colors with flowers on the toes.

I had these in red.

VINTAGE 70's PAPPAGALLO SHOES 8.5 M FLAT Anthropologie | Vintage ...

Teaching, I wore a lot of thong heeled sandals by Moda.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: For shoe lovers

[ Edited ]

It began with tap dancing shoes. I could barely tap -- kept looking at my shoes. Mom had few shoes, but always quality, two pairs of black, great dress shoes that lasted forever. I remember opening her closet and looking at her platform pumps with just the right curve in the toe and then the other was a peep toe. Perfection. My parents polished their shoes weekly. They'd sit, chat and polish.  

Every Easter I had a dress-shoe choice. I gave it great thought -- black or white patent leather. One year I selected pink patent leather. I would rub the shoes with vaseline to make them extra shiny. I know. What a shoe nerd. I've always given shoes a second glance and bought quality shoes. Yikes, my kids are just like me. When young hubs began working in the corporate world, he looked great from ankles up. We had to have a shoe talk. Quality & polish often.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

@ECBG 

@ECBG wrote:

My love affair with shoes began when I was quite young.  We owned the largest fine shoe store in town from WW1-1980.  

I started out with loafers for school that had a gold bee on the vamp.  Then a caramel pair came in called "palomino".

I had these in red.

@ECBG wrote:

I had these in red.

I had goosebumps looking at these!  I had this style in winter white!  My friends and I would go to the Pappagallo store in Boston and love to look at all the colorful shoes.  I can almost smell the leather in the store!

Valued Contributor

@jeanlake  I took tap dancing lessons, too!  One day I wore my tap shoes to school. Catholic school--second grade!  Not a good choice as it turned out for me!  I don't know how I got past my parents on that one!

Esteemed Contributor

@pprmntstx  Made me laugh. Click, clack, click. Wasn't it fabulous? My shoes were tied with a thick, black ribbon. My friend had silver tap shoes. I was torn. And of course, we watched Lawrence Welk Show at home. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@pprmntstx I have always loved the smell of leather.  I would go in back where the shoe boxes and the wooden repair table was and love to smell everything.

I was my Victorian grandmother's (born 1900) first granddaughter and all I wanted to do was be around her.  I think she encouraged me since she had 2 sons and no girls.

Contributor

My love of shoes began when I was a child and my parents took me to the local shoe store to get my feet measured for new shoes!