Valued Contributor

Do you remember when you started collecting shoes?  For me it was high school and I never stopped!

Honored Contributor

@pprmntstx    I always like shoes a lot but for years I wore a difficult size and couldn't find many choices.  It was a happy day when I spread from a AA width to a medium.

Then along came Zulily with a great selection and reasonable prices so I made up for lost time.  Now I have well over 100 pairs and they're pushing me out of my bedroom.  I'm going to have to selectively edit my collection or move.  I've quit buying.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I am just like you.  When I was younger, my shoe width was a AAA or AA, and getting shoes was not easy.  Luckily, I had a shoemaker in walking distance from my home.  Now, most of the time, I can easily wear a B or Medium width and it makes shoe shopping so much easier,  I do see more narrow shoes now, but at least I can always find shoes to wear.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  @SXMGirl  I, too, have narrow feet.  I always wore AA width shoes.  As I've gotten older I've gained so much weight that I'm now an A width.  Depending on the shoe,  I can sometimes wear a medium width, since some of them run a bit narrow.

Honored Contributor

I think it was when I started working.  I started working at the Pentago, made a little money and .... look out!  

So, I have three huge bins (the clear big long one's) of shoes, I have 2 closets full of shoes!  I have maybe 80 pair of Birkenstocks alone.  I really, really love shoes!

My teenage granddaughters love shoes too.  The 18 year old just started college but before she left, last weekend we went to DSW shoes.  

We sat in her car eating McDonalds laughing about our ventures to DSW with her year younger sister.  She (her name is Emily) would head over to the high high heels and walk around with them.  I'd videotape her with my ipad.  Her sister would head over to the discount shoes (she's like that and only when she was maybe 13 and knew what discount meant).

The first time Emily came into DSW warehouse shoes she was in a stroller with her Mom.  She was 2 years old.  I stopped and looked at her and said, "Emily, Grandma's not sure but I think this might be what Heaven looks like".  Ha!

My feet have grown as my weight grew.  When I had my first daughter I was 135 lbs and wore a size 8 1/2.  Now...well let's just say I'm fat...I wear a size 10-11 (varies on the shoe).

Emily picked me up from my house, she's always known I have a lot of shoes but my youngest daughter stayed when I broke my back...she organized my house.  One thing she organized was my shoes.

When Emily saw them in those plastic tubs she flipped.

If I can ever figure out how to show pictures here, I will send some of my shoes.

I just can't follow instructions...(sounds like a problem)  Ha!

Phew!  I guess I bored you guys.  Sorry.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  You sound like someone I could commensurate with on shoes.

I love someone who loves shoes like I do.  I've told my body it can't get any fatter (read my other post) because these shoes are too freaking important to me for them not to fit!

So, tell me about your shoes?  Are they a variety?  My shoes are a variety (not counting the Birkenstock, but in the summer I only wear my Birkenstock sandals because I have so many and talk about variety...I got almost all on QVC years back when they sold Birkenstock.

They weren't cheap even then.  But money was meant to be spent.  I think QVC came along for me right after my husband died unexpectedly.  I think I started buying stuff and it helped me cope with his death but I wished I'd stop coping.  Ha!  Sorry, but had to say that.

Really, tell me about some of them.  I'm listening.  Use my name so I don't miss it.  I go from one room to the other so I often miss stuff on here.

Honored Contributor

It was definitely when I started working. Like you all, I love shoes, especially sandals. I refuse to count them, it would be embarrassing. You stories made me think of shopping with my mom, she had a quad. heel, and we would spend hours in stores looking for shoes that fit. Did I mind , heck no , we were in shoe stores. 🥰

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  Do you wear all of them?

Honored Contributor

No way!  I used to wear a lot more of them because I had more places to go.  These days with my really bad back and the virus, my going out has curtailed somewhat.

I do match them to my outfits.  They are so pretty.  The sandals are my favorites.  I have a lot of other kinds of shoes and I don't wear them much.

I just gave to Goodwill a lot of shoes I don't wear (some I never even wore).  I'd never give away my Birkenstock shoes.

I think I'm weird when it comes to feet.  I think people with big feet looks good.  Mine are big I guess (size 10-11).  Many models have bigger feet (my observation).

But I don't like looking at the feet from the models.  I told you I was weird.

The shoes all in the closets, I don't wear much because they are closed toes.  

I remember I went bonkers until I found DSkechers D'Lites Summer Fiesta Women's Sneakerselights by Sketchers.  Here they are:

But I barely wear them.  I wear mostly the Birkenstocks with the toes closed in winter.  They are like clogs without the heel closed in.  I have some Birkenstocks that have flowers on them with the closed toes and opened heels.  I mainly wear the plain one's like that.

Tell me about your shoes?  Don't hold back, I want to read about your shoes.  Ha!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66    LOL.  Your post tickled me.  I have a foot/ankle problem, even had unsuccessful surgery.  No functioning  tendons in right foot so I can't wear anything with a heel over 1".  My shoes are all pretty much flats but I have everything from sandals to cowboy boots, leather and fabric (no pleather).  I can't do much walking due to bad back so they don't have to be extremely comfortable.  I can't wear Birkies but do have about 30 pairs of Alegrias.  I do need support in a shoe. 

I like lots of color in my shoes and have them to coordinate with all the colors I wear.  I probably have 7 or 8 pairs of turquoise shoes.  I love anything turquoise.  I have them with embroidery, stripes, stars, flowers, tie dye.  Of course I have the basic neutrals too.  I even have waterproof loafers and I live in the desert.

What about you?  What does your collection look like?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment