Respected Contributor

Who has flat feet and what brand shoes do you find most comfortable and supporting?  

Also, do you use an arch insert and if so what is a good one?

Respected Contributor

I have flat feet, so arch inserts are uncomfortable for me and I don't use them.

Valued Contributor

Me! I remember the first time I even noticed it was when I was barefoot at my Mother--in-law's and she said "boy, you have flat feet", and I do.  

I tried Vionics, but they were uncomfortable.   I might be in the minority,  but aside from some Earth brand sandals which do have some arch support,  I do better with none.

I need a firm sole (nothing too squishy), but with a little give, works best for me.

I wear Puma sneakers and they work great for me.

Honored Contributor

I have flat feet and the very most supportive comfortable shoes are NurseMates.  The problem is, I rarely find a style I want to wear as they're very utilitarian.  They are firm and stiff to support the foot and have a built in arch support.  I am always most comfortable with a gentle arch support, not like Vionic but more like Spenco. I've had them custom made out of a firm but resilient foam alike material with some "give" to it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Chopsmom wrote:

Me! I remember the first time I even noticed it was when I was barefoot at my Mother--in-law's and she said "boy, you have flat feet", and I do.  

I tried Vionics, but they were uncomfortable.   I might be in the minority,  but aside from some Earth brand sandals which do have some arch support,  I do better with none.

I need a firm sole (nothing too squishy), but with a little give, works best for me.

I wear Puma sneakers and they work great for me.

Thanks,  I cannot wear Vionic either.  Had flat feet all my life(thanks Dad!) and never had problems until last year or so.  Just cannot find comfortable shoes to wear all day.  Had custom inserts made (BIG mistake) but they are like concrete and are painful to wear. I will try Puma.  I need something with a mild arch that does not dig into my foot!

Honored Contributor

Re: Flat Feet anyone?

[ Edited ]

@Chopsmom   My Puma sneakers are very comfortable, a cut above the rest.  I have the cutest pair done in red bandana print.  However, when I looked for others, I didn't find much I liked.

Have you tried the Spenco footbed?  I can't wear their shoes.  Although I wear a medium width, they're always too wide for me, even the adjustable ones, but I think they do sell an insole and they are not hard or high.  Very gentle.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Who has flat feet and what brand shoes do you find most comfortable and supporting?  

Also, do you use an arch insert and if so what is a good one?

I am flat footed and my feet don't typically give me any problems unless I wear very very flat shoes.  I love flats, but my feet don't.  I have had a bunionectomy in the past and need one for the other foot, but since it does not hurt, I'm not doing it.  I recall the pain and weeks and weeks of recovery that I needed for the first surgery.  

I wear many styles of shoes.  I look for comfort and style.  Thank goodness many manufacturers are marrying the two together now.  Shoes with cushioning that I like:

Cole Haan

Leather footbeds: Miz Mooz (shoes, booties, boots)  I've owned mine for more than ten years.  They don't have the styles I have anymore.

Wonderful Tall riding boots that I've had for years are Blondo's for wide shaft and are waterproof!

Pinkolino's which happen to run narrow but boy does the foot bed feel great.

Donald J. Pliner

Stuart Weitzman (but not all styles are comfy)

Ugg boots (you can purchase new inserts made of shearling), but I don't think it's worth it.  I don't wear my Ugg boots out of doors.  I wear them in my home.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I have flat feet and finally went to a B&M shoe store to get a proper sneaker.  The salesperson brought out AETREX brand and they have terrific support.  Took a little getting used to, but I stuck it out.  This brand is a bit expensive, but there is an on-line store that sometimes has sales.  Check out metres dot com for more info.  BTW-- I usually take a 6.5, but in this style, Danika White AP101, needed size 7. Good luck. 

Respected Contributor

There are several brand of insoles that come with adjustable inserts from low to high so you can determine which might feel most comfortable.

Respected Contributor

Re: Flat Feet anyone?

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl I do!

I wear all kinds of shoes, with no special support.

I think years ago I tried a Dr. Sholls insert for some sneakers I wore..I'd look there for inserts, or ask a foot dr. to recommend. However, for me, that was years ago, didn't love them, don't find I really need them. Like someone else mentioned, sometimes the bump just feels uncomforable. But a "custom orthodic" from a foot doc may work for you.

Speaking of sneakers...Brooks has a style called Dyad, my local athletic store turned me onto years ago...best construction ever for flat feet, in particular.

I love Spenco flip flops in summer and have found them to be cute, comfortable, supportive sandals.

Birkenstocks are back on trend in a big way and always supportive.

I have some Earth Brands boots I like ok.

I have Bare Traps boots that have been the best for years for me!

They were always supportive, comfy...like they cradled my foot, and wore like iron. I have some I've had for years...still look and feel great.

QVC used to sell them, don't think they do anymore...but they must be out there. I hear Bear Paw on HSN are supposed to be good.