Valued Contributor

FFANY Question- only 80% to charity??

I just went to check out the shoes on sale page and noticed it says only 80% is being donated to breast cancer research and education.  Was this always the case?  I thought it was 100%??

Honored Contributor

Re: FFANY Question- only 80% to charity??

You can't run a charity without some administrative costs associated with it.  Someone needs to plan, organize, and direct the activities.  You've got printing and mailing costs and heaven's knows what else.  I'd say 80% was pretty high.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Kachina is right, but I think @CorrTor has a point because I think (not 100% sure) that they publicly SAID that 100% of the proceeds were going to charity. It's always possible that they meant the "net proceeds" (I.e. After expenses, etc). 

Honored Contributor

The devil is always in the details and the exact words count.  When I want to be sure, I go for the written word, not something spoken by lots of different people because so many times there's a slip somewhere and someone forgets a word or changes a word and the meaning changes.  On that, lawyers win big cases.  We've all seen that.  Writers have the luxury of time and editing!

What's actually donated?  Don't have the slightest idea, but "net" sounds more likely than 100%.  Even if we send money directly to a charity, 100% doesn't do the work of the charity - some % virtually always goes to all the background work.

Honored Contributor

It's been 80% as far back as I can remember.  Not sure that it ever was 100%.

Trusted Contributor

80% is a very good amount for most organizations.   I always check the reports and amount actually donated when I get any request for money.  I have a select few that I will donate to.   I have been approached by so called non profits that use part of a reputable name in their name.  Example our state police.  I knew our law enforcement donot ask for donations for themselves so I called them.   The collecting organization was not doing anything illegal.  By law a 10% minimum of the monies collected has to be donated to the organization you say you are raising it for.  They donate that 10% so they can not be asked to stop their advertising.  This was several years ago.   I now check each organization to see what their current record of donations is.   Some "charitable" organizations have now changed their structure so that they no longer have to report that amount but they are still collecting millions.  I will continue to support those I believe in and whose good work is well documented.

Esteemed Contributor

I looked at the FFANY shoes that are currently online and I am not impressed. They look like clearance and outlet shoes that you could find in any outlet mall store. If the shoes float your boat, go for it.

Esteemed Contributor

80% of the proceeds of the sale are being donated to the charity which means that 20% of the proceeds are being kept by somebody involved in the entire process.  QVC has always said that the manufacturers donate the shoes so if the manufacturers donate the shoes and get nothing then somewhere along the line someone is getting 20% out of this arrangement.  So who?  IS it the organization sponsoring the sale (FFANY) or is it QVC?  If it is QVC then I am disappointed in them.  SInce they push this so much I would have thought that they would cover the cost of the shows production (air time, staff time etc.)

Honored Contributor

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it required to show the EXACT breakdown of where proceeds go during a charity type event? I know that in the 20 years I've been a part of assorted fundraisers for Domestic Violence, we have been required to show the EXACT breakdown.

Perhaps it depends on the state. *shrugs*

Esteemed Contributor

https://www.ffany.org

You could always go to the Ffany website. FFANY is the Fashion Footwear Association of New York, which is a trade organization for the shoe industry based in NYC.

You can also google the Fashion Footwear Charitable Foundation.