Valued Contributor

Dooney bag just not working out...

I wanted my Dooney for so long, but it's just not for me. I bought the florentine vachetta small satchel, new with tags, from eBay. It was beautiful and perfect. A rich tmorro brown. Unfortunately, at 2.5 pounds before anything is put in, it's just too heavy for my shoulder and arm, even with the detachable cross body strap. Also, it lacks organizing pockets that I really need. I've gone back to the Perlina I bought at Nordstrom Rack. It's a fraction of the weight. I will probably wind up posting it for sale in the next few months on the same site where I bought.
Super Contributor

Re: Dooney bag just not working out...

I'm sure you will do well on the sale. We have all bought an item that did not work out.
Super Contributor

I'm sorry your purchase didn't work out for you, rac. I know how you feel. I look at the Florentines and toledos. Luv 'em but not practical for me.

You'll find another dooney that is lighter.

Respected Contributor

Oh...I hate when that happens. So sorry. It is a lovely bag. (Perlina bags are also nice.) Florentine is rather heavy. I found mine heavy also. Not to worry, when I put mine upon ebay, I had a quick sale. So you don't have to worry about it not selling. Those always go. Dooney makes all kinds of bags and leathers. Maybe you will find one that suits you better.

Esteemed Contributor

I find the bags to be heavy also.
Respected Contributor

I have two Florentines and they are heavy. the big satchel one i have, I swear gives me tennis elbow. So pretty though! I carry them for shorts stints and enjoy them that way. I have a big collection of handbags so no one gets too much use at a time anyway.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Why do people carry everything they own in a bag. I only carry my absolute necessities & never have a problem with a heavy bag.

Frequent Contributor

I don't like having a ton of stuff in my bags either and usually just carry keys, phone and small wallet.

But my mother in law and my best friend are the opposite. Scotch tape, scissors, band aids, needle and thread, tape measure, magnifying glass--- you name it, they have it! It seems crazy to me but....I guess everyone's different. Smile And I must admit to having been glad to borrow from their bag o' stuff more than once... LOL.

Susan

Valued Contributor

On 4/2/2014 PinkSugar said:

Why do people carry everything they own in a bag. I only carry my absolute necessities & never have a problem with a heavy bag.

What prompted you to make this uncalled for assumption? Completely irrelevant. Nearly 3 pounds of dead weight empty is too heavy. Must be nice to be so perfect that you freely cast judgement upon everyone else.
Valued Contributor

On 4/2/2014 JavaQueen said:

Oh...I hate when that happens. So sorry. It is a lovely bag. (Perlina bags are also nice.) Florentine is rather heavy. I found mine heavy also. Not to worry, when I put mine upon ebay, I had a quick sale. So you don't have to worry about it not selling. Those always go. Dooney makes all kinds of bags and leathers. Maybe you will find one that suits you better.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm quite top heavy and already have a slightly lowered right shoulder from carrying unbalanced weight. Add 10ish pound over each shoulder just by my bra straps, I can't manage a heavy bag, too. (I can't carry my work laptop over my shoulder, either. I go through at least one rolling bag a year.) At least the old Coach Stewardess had a super-wide strap. I'll keep an eye out, although I have some lovely bags I'm rotating between. I hope it sells better than my Brighton bags did.