Super Contributor

Dooney & Bourke Outlet Stores

I am going to be visiting Maine in a couple of weeks and will be staying near Freeport. I see there's a D&B outlet store there. My question is : are the bags sold in D&B outlet stores made for outlet (like Coach)? Thanks!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Dooney & Bourke Outlet Stores

Just visited an outlet and the bags are exactly the same as qvc, macys, or dillards. Good pricing but you do not get the "extra" key bob or coin purse.
Honored Contributor

I have been to the D&B outlet in San Marcos, TX......the bags there looked like ones I had seen in dept stores but I also saw some I had never seen other places. I bought one of my favorite bags at Nordstrom's preseason sale last year and the SA told me that they brought in a few styles as exclusives to Nordstrom. I have been to the outlet several times and it is usually feast or famine for me.

Honored Contributor

I believe Dooney is one of the few that doesn't make 'for the outlet' items. I could be wrong, but that's been my understanding.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

Correct, Dooney does not make bags for their outlets like Coach. You will see a lot of styles that you won't recognize due to all of the "exclusives" offered to various retailers, as well as lines only available in Dooney.com or Dooney flagship Boutiques. You can find some amazing deals...
Respected Contributor

Most of the handbags in the Dooney outlets are exactly the same as the handbags in the Dooney boutiques or department stores.... same styles, same leathers, same colors. Over time, some styles or colors may be moved out of the Dooney boutiques and then are only available at the outlets. Sometimes styles are made exclusively for a particular department store or even QVC, and those may also sometimes end up in the outlet after a while. The outlets usually do not have the most current style or color as those are saved for retail stores. But after a while, as the style or color gets older, it migrates to the outlets too.

The prices in the outlets can be great.... really great. My best advice is to be sure to check over each handbag carefully, just to be sure it's in good condition. Most of the handbags in the outlet are perfect, but just like in any store, a particular handbag could have a defect or look like it has been mishandled in shipping. So it's always a good idea to check over a handbag carefully before you buy it.

Before visiting the outlet I always check out the inventory on the Dooney website and the QVC website. Not that I will find those items, but it helps to familiarize yourself with the styles and colors and prices. That way when you get to the store you can focus your attention on the kinds of handbags you like most and not waste a lot of time or energy looking at styles you are not likely to buy. For example.... I look for the leather handbag that have the largest discounts first and then all the leather handbags. I walk right by the fabrics and patterns. I may come back to them at the end, but that's only if I don't find some treasures I want in the leather handbags. My friend heads straight for the tables with the biggest discounts, doesn't matter to her if it's nylon, coated cotton, or leather. Everyone has their own approach. I have another friend who will spend hours checking out each and every table and shelf in the store. That's great if you have the time and the energy. I usually find so many things I want that I have to focus or else it's too distracting.{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Frequent Contributor

Hello! I just visited the Clinton ct. Outlet last weekend. It was smaller than my usual outlet store in woodbury commons ny , which is being remodeled. It still had the latest styles and I got 1975 signature acc. For my shopper at 40% off. Everything is on sale at 30% or greater. Last year I got a kingston bag ,which had 2 small scratches on the bottom, for 75% off. I buffed these marks and only I know they were there. So there are all kinds of deals.
Super Contributor

Oooo, thanks, ladies, for some great advice! I am very happy to know that the D&B are not made for outlet (not that there is anything wrong with made for outlet purses). I am most interested in leather; a nice shoulder bag for fall maybe. I keep looking at the "as is" section on QVC, but the ones I like are too big. I'd like to see them and try them in person. I will post again after our trip, in two weeks, on whether I scored or not.

Respected Contributor

Sue: have fun.

Trusted Contributor

I like Dooney, although, it's not my favorite. I will say, my Sister and I had fun at their Outlet store in Orlando, a little over a year ago. I personally didn't buy, but, I thought their store was the nicest of any that I visited (certainly didn't hit them all). Have shopping fun!