Respected Contributor

Stevieb, touche!

Super Contributor

Sandra said that no matter what your hair looks like in an old photo, your D&B handbag will always be in style. Meaning that we all look back and have that 'what was I thinking?' moment, and laugh, but your Dooney is timeless.

At that precise moment, the camera panned back to the model, who happened to be African-American, and who that evening was wearing her hair naturally.

One had nothing to do with the other. It was Sandra rambling on with the vendor and the camera doing its own thing, showing the product.

Some viewers insisted there was a deliberate connection, and her facebook page exploded. Sandra was aghast over this misinterpretation, but apologized for the perceived pain it caused some viewers. This unfortunately only famed the flames of some viewers and her facebook page continues to spew anger and accusations.

Sandra went back onto her page tonight to discuss more. She is being called racist, and feels intensely about this accusation as there was no connection between her chatter and where the camera went at that moment. She said her own family is culturally diverse, and she has lived her life wide open and compassionately.

It appears that there may be some people creating accounts now on the forum expressly to begin threads such as this one.

OP, this means you.

Contributor
It often seems to me that what Sandra is talking about is not what is on the screen. That is what I described as clueless. I prefer the hosts that try to be more mindful about what is being shown and what they are saying. I think everyone's opinions are equally valid and I don't expect my opinion to be treated as fact. I think I am in the minority on these forums...
Honored Contributor

If you try hard enough to be insulted by something, chances are, you will be.

To quote a song I loathe, "Let it go......."

Esteemed Contributor

I see the pot stirrer never came back.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Joined, just to stir!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

Watch the video, the model was hurt by the insensitive remark. I do not think she said it to insult the model, but she did. It was unfortunate choice of words with a natural haired black model being shown. it was right for her to apologize. she did not insult on purpose, but was insulting. We have all been there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb6ra5aCpQ4

Regular Contributor

I don't know what you watched but the clip I watched (which IS the clip in question) didn't even have a whispering hint of racism AT ALL.

Anyone who believed there was racism in Sandra's comment sees racism in everything and their behavior does nothing but to perpetuate racism and separates THEMSELVES. They will always play the victim card.

It really is sad. These people aren't doing anything to better society.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we've all been unintentionally insulted and, in fact, most of us have been intentionally insulted at one time or another... The difference is that most of us simply shrug our shoulders, pick up our feet, put one in front of the other, and move on, without expecting copious acts of contrition. Sandra did nothing wrong and no apology was warranted. That she did, however, should have been the end of it, and yet some folks seem to feel they and their feelings are somehow special and therefore require special consideration when, in fact they aren't... Isn't the message supposed to be that we're all essentially the same in our humanity? One wonders why, then, some appear simply compelled to keep on keeping on with this non-incident...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Incidentally, I note that in watching the brief clip, the model didn't appear to react one way or the other to the comment made, which was clearly generic and not focused on the model in any way...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...