Esteemed Contributor

Do orthotic inserts help?

[ Edited ]

I need to wear shoes with some kind of support inside if I am on my feet all day. I have a few pairs of cute flats thet have no suppport.

I was wondering if buying some kind of insert would allow me to wear them again. Do those gel ones work?

Respected Contributor

Re: Do orthotic inserts help?

When I worked in retail I every type of insole I could find trying to make the shoes I have work but it never did.  My advise would be to find a good pair of shoes with enough support. 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I need to wear shoes with some kind of support inside if I am on my feet all day. I have a few pairs of cute flats thet have no suppport.

I was wondering if buying some kind of insert would allow me to wear them again. Do those gel ones work?

@Nataliesgramma

I wear prescription orthotics every day --- I have to!  I hate them, but they do help.  I can't speak for the orthotics that you buy over the counter.  I hear a lot about Dr. Scholl's -- have you tried them?  I would think that wearing an insole of some type to give support to your shoes would help you feel more comfortable.  A lot of the flats out there --- have no support to them are are too flat, I think.  They are cute but not that great for the feet and legs.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I went to the Good Feet Store .. as I have severe pronation ....they are the best

things .. other than custom made .. I could have gotten ... Yes they are

expensive ...but worth every penny .. plus they are guaranteed for life .

I have had them 12 years now and no sign of wear on them at all ....

Respected Contributor

Actually they may have saved me money as my shoes last longer

now that I am not turning them over with the pronation ....

Regular Contributor

If you have a Walking Company store in your area I recommend ABEO inserts.  They are wonderful and have made a huge difference for me.  

Honored Contributor

I have custom-made inserts created every year by my doc; so do two of my children. The difference with them and without is felt quite quickly: pain in the lower back, the hips, the knee, the ankles and the foot when we DON'T use them. Obviously, this depends on each person and their need but I've had them since my teens. Worth every penny (though insurance covers them now).

Respected Contributor

I think no matter where you get them Orthotic's are worth every penny ...

Respected Contributor

I have Vionic insoles in every pair of sheepskin boots I own, plus in my New Balance cross-trainers, and they are well worth the cost.  I would have had to retire early due to disability with plantar faciitis if it were not for Vionics shoes and insoles.  I have not yet been to a Good Feet store, but there is one in my area, and I plan on visiting next time I am nearby.  Don't waste your money on Dr. Scholls, though, I even went to the trouble to find a store with their "machine" in it where you stand on it in your socks so it can "map" your feet to suggest the insole you need, bought what it recommended, took them home, tried them in my shoes, and threw them away the same day, that was about $40 in the trash!  Thankfully, my Vionics insoles do the job for me, I hope you can find some help for your feet, too. 

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma I would suggest being evaluated by a professional because all inserts are not created equal. A lot depends on where you put pressure on your feet, whether you pronate or supinate, etc. I don't know if those "machines" that you stand on (that you find in some stores where insoles are sold) are of any value since I've never used one and can't speak from experience but a friend of mine went to the Good Feet store and got a series of graduating insoles that will slowly help align her flat feet.