Respected Contributor

Re: Do orthotic inserts help?

As I mentioned in my OP .. my Good Feet inserts are at least 12 years old

and show absolutely no signs of wear and they are guaranteed for life ..

Respected Contributor

The shoes you already have probably would not be big enough for orthotics added to it.  When you add a different insole to the shoes you already have that fit, they take up a lot of room.

Valued Contributor

Yes I have custom orthotic inserts made by my shoe doctor.  If I am walking or standing I put them in my shoe.  Have to have a shoe with removable insoles, they don't fit in any old shoe.  The Allegria TSV would be a perfect shoe to put an orthotic into.  If I am not wearing an orthotic shoe, I either wear a birkenstock, which gives me similar support, or I am wearing a dress shoe for a short period of time.  

Honored Contributor

This thread is timely for me.  This morning I went to have a new pair of orthotics made. 

Many insurances  pay for them but Medicare is my primary and it does not cover them. 

I do not know what the going rate is but in my area they are $495.  Unlike ones I had made years ago, these will be soft, 3 layers. My previous ones were hard. (the kind they make for children) I hated them and never wore them.

The last few years I've spent a lot of money on OTC and Dr. Scholl's inserts.  They did little good.

Esteemed Contributor

I second going to The Walking Company store and trying some of their Abeo orthotic insoles. I have a pair of Abeo lace up walking athletic shoes and bought their metatarsal support insoles for them. You can also look at their website too but if you are near a store I suggest a visit. I also have their normal Abeo Galena suede winter boots with their normal shearling removable insoles and I need to replace them on my next visit to Las Vegas.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

The shoes you already have probably would not be big enough for orthotics added to it.  When you add a different insole to the shoes you already have that fit, they take up a lot of room.

This ^^^

It depends more on your shoes than on the orthotic, as long as you choose a decent orthotic - Vionic or Lynco/Aetrex or a few others.  If the shoes are "shallow", like typical ballet flats for example, and you can't remove the insoles that come with the shoes, with insoles your feet will sit too high within the shoes and you won't be able to keep them on your feet. Removable orthotic insoles only work well in shoes that have removable insoles.

I would buy Skechers in a heartbeat, but most of their shoes have the insoles firmly sewn in, and they don't fit correctly or comfortably with an orthotic in them. It was IMO a dumb decision on their part.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

After a year of serious foot problems, I went to a podiatrist and he suggested orthotics.  I never thought that I would wear them, but they have made a tremendous difference.  Mine cost $275, have my name on them and the number, along with my doctor's office address.   Absolutely well worth the money.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you get professional orthotics made for your feet, you will have follow-up office visits to make sure that they are working properly for you; they can be adjusted.  Ones that you buy in stores are not the same, which is why they never worked for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!