Super Contributor

Re: Do northerners really wear boots all winter?

[ Edited ]

Yes, we wear boots all winter.  I started this year with ankle booties in Oct.  Last week I wore my Uggs.  I have 7 pair of boots and wear them Oct. - March.  Today is 27 degrees and sunny.  I have on my hiking boots to run errands. Smiley Happy  I live in Central Lower MI.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hate to wear boots...and shoes in general.  I have two pairs of knee length leather boots, black and brown, still in boxes. I pair of snow boots and three pairs of booties, 2 black and 1 tan.

i only wear boots when I absolutely have to.  I walk my dog twice a day, so I wear snow boots when there  is snow. I never seem to have an occasion to wear the knee length ones and the booties, I wear if I am going to be out for a while, or they go with my outfit. So maybe a few times each season.

I prefer to wear wool socks and clogs all winter until I am forced not to. I can't stand to have my feet in a straight jacket like covering.

added:  I forget to mention that most women wear boots here all winter long for fashion..

either booties, short calf or knee length.  They are really popular.

Trusted Contributor

I live in the south so it's too hot for boots almost always. If I lived where it was cooler, I would wear them always. Love boots.

Honored Contributor

I must have about 8 pairs of boots.  Except for two pairs of snow boots they are all black leather ankle boots.  Now ask me if I wear them often...nope!  There is one pair that's very comfortable and warm...good for walking too that I wore last weekend when I went up to Boston.

However most of the time I prefer to wear comfortable slip on shoes.  I'm in PA.

Respected Contributor

I think people who don't experience brutal winters see winter like a commercial. Fluffy snow lightly falling, the whole family out making snow angels, the dog hopping around then everyone sips mugs of hot cocoa. 

Chicago winters are nasty. Wind chill, icy, snow covered roads, it's pitch black here by 5:00 pm. 

Yes we wear warm boots, hats, heavy coats.  It ain't pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

The Q sells tons of boots. I’m always fascinated by this. I live in South Florida and I never buy boots and I never see anyone wearing them here. Are the people up north wearing boots all fall and winter? How many pair of boots do you own? How many do you buy for a season? I’m just curious.

@Mindy D  .... if I lived in SOUTH FLORIDA I wouldn’t be wearing boots either!!!! ... you wear boots in the winter when IT’S COLD OUTSIDE!!! 🌨⛄️☃️🌨

Esteemed Contributor

I'm in the great lakes basin, and I have one pair of boots. They're functional, waterproof and warm.

I keep them laced only partway so I can push my foot in, and later shake the wet boot off without bending and touching it. I also have a pair of flexible waterproof duck shoes.

The boots have great tread for safety, and are for when I'm dealing with the snow, slush, and slop. But as soon as things are ploughed and shoveled the shoes suffice.

When I worked I had 5 or 6 pair of boots all in a variety of colors, water resistant nylon(?)

But don't need that now.

Those lovely and stylish leather boots Q sells are for fashion only. I'd never expose that leather to the constant wet and salt my feet walk through, 6 out of 12.

Valued Contributor

@Mindy D 

Along with agreeing with all other previous posters, I live along the coast up north...approximately 1/2 mile from the coast.  This necessitates an entirely different kind of boot for us in addition to snow boots, cold weather boots to keep you warm, high boots for high snow, low boots for low snow, fashion boots, etc.

Have you ever heard of a Nor'Easter?  It's basically a winter hurricane that spins & spins off the coast with bands of snow, rain, or a combination of both, and can last from 24-48 hours with wind gusts up to 80mph.  So very often what happens within 5-10 miles of the coastline is we get slightly warmer air than inland.  Those a little more inland will get inundated with 2 feet of snow.  But along the coast we start out getting a foot of snow, maybe more, maybe less, and then when the slightly warmer comes in with the storm it changes over to sleet, then rain on top of all that snow!  It makes a wet icy, sloshy, soggy mess and that is when normal cold weather or just snow boots no longer are wearable.  Now we need boots that are totally "waterproof" and that do not leak in the 4-6 inches of icy cold wet slush that we need to go out and shovel.

I hope you can come on up some winter and experience the fun & joys of our winters in New England!  😊

Honored Contributor

I don't wear boots but I'm in the south. It does get cold here I just don't care for boots.

DH wears cowboy boots almost 24/7. LOL!!! He wants a pair of the Tacova Boots. I told him to order what he wanted that it would be from me for Christmas. I sure hate to order a pair he does not like.

As far as Florida goes yes they do wear boots in Florida which IMO is totally ridiculous. We have been to Fl during the winter & there are so many running around with boots on when it's not even cold. We went shopping at The Avenues in Jax & everyone was wearing boots. I thought how can they wear boots it's too hot. I had on capris, t-shirt & sandals. LOL!!!

When it comes to cold weather they sure are whimps in Fl. I don't know what they would do if they were actually some place that's cold???

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have three pair of short boots (brown, black and olive), and three pair of knee high boots.(brown, black, and dark tan).  And a pair of short, fur-lined winter storm boots.  They are all worn throughout the late fall and winter!