Super Contributor

Do Birkenstock Footbeds Lose Their Cushion?

Have a pair of Birkies that I bought as a TSV 4-5 years ago. They've always been comfortable for long distance walking. This year when I put them on, they feel too hard and not at all comfortable anymore. I've tried them for short distances to see if I just need to get used to them after not wearing since last summer. That isn't helping.

Wondering if they are wearing out. Has anyone else had this happen? Not sure if it's me or them!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do Birkenstock Footbeds Lose Their Cushion?

They shouldn't. Are they the regular footbed or the soft footbed?

And how do the soles look, wear wise?

Esteemed Contributor

I have several pairs of the hard footbed that I purchased from QVC several years ago - and they're still very comfortable. I bought many pairs of Birkenstock/Birki's soft footbed from 6PM.com - and they're great. I'm wearing a pair of Papillion, 2-wide strap, sandals right now.

Honored Contributor

I think they are indestructible..........I've had a pair on my front porch for years in case I run outside without my shoes............and it's 105 out there right now (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

The soles look great and the footbeds are the regular ones. Thinking the issue is more me and not the shoes.

I will look at the soft footbed style and see if this might be an option for me. Thanks so much for the advice and the suggestions!

Honored Contributor

I didn't know they had any cushion. The ones I've tried and can't wear are hard as a rock.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My footbed is hard - my winter feet are tender when I put them barefoot in a sandal. I developed blisters near the balls of my feet (both) when I walked about a mile in them. Now the soles have toughen up. I walk longer distances with no problem now.
Frequent Contributor

I've worn Birkentstock's for many years and have loved them for their comfort and support. This year, I can't wear them. My feet have changed and how I walk as well. I'm so bummed. I never thought my back and hip issues would affect my walking gait and feet as much as they have. So I had to buy a different type of sandal this summer, one that's lighter and fits my feet more like a shoe, but still gives me the airy feel of a sandal. To a degree, Birk's require your feet and toes to grip the footbed when walking and I can't do that anymore. I noticed for me that my foot isn't as flexible as before either, if that makes any sense. Everyone's situation is different, but I never ever thought I'd have to give up my Birk's because I couldn't walk in them anymore.

Western New York
3,866 Posts
Honored Contributor

I had to reply to this post, I use to wear only birkenstocks, mostly that is had many, but a few years ago, I had my feet to start hurting, on the footbed, I finally figured out it was my beloved shoes, I can not wear them, I had different types, I just can not wear them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

There's no cushion to begin with. Not sure about the soft footbeds. Birki fan!