Honored Contributor

Re: Do Birkenstock Footbeds Lose Their Cushion?

Sorry for a slight change of topic, but wondering if anyone else has/had this issue. I want to try Birkenstocks, as I need the footbed (I wear Vionics and Abeos). But in the size 9 (my normal size) the toe grip just hits me in the wrong place and I know it would irritate me/cause blisters. The size 8 just isn't big enough - my toes go over the "lip" of the footbed and I have zero room at the back. Does this mean Birkenstocks just won't work for me? Anyone thing that trying a Narrow would help at all? The Medium seems to be okay, but I'm not a Birkenstock expert.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

moonchilde: I wear size 7 wide in all shoes -- but I wear size 37 narrow in Birkenstocks/Birki's as they run WIDE. You probably need a narrow and ur feet will feel more secure. You can always order from zappos.com - free shipping & return. Get the soft footbed.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/1/2014 moonchilde said: Sorry for a slight change of topic, but wondering if anyone else has/had this issue. I want to try Birkenstocks, as I need the footbed (I wear Vionics and Abeos). But in the size 9 (my normal size) the toe grip just hits me in the wrong place and I know it would irritate me/cause blisters. The size 8 just isn't big enough - my toes go over the "lip" of the footbed and I have zero room at the back. Does this mean Birkenstocks just won't work for me? Anyone thing that trying a Narrow would help at all? The Medium seems to be okay, but I'm not a Birkenstock expert.

This is EXACTLY the problem I have with Birkenstocks. I can't wear them because my big toe appears to be too long for the space allotted for the toe. Going up too the next size just makes the entire shoe too long. I finally gave up. Then I solved the problem by going to Vionic/Orthaheel. No toe bar behind the big toe, so it feels great on my foot. Some feet just aren't made for that Birkenstock footbed.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

The regular footbed is hard so they can't really lose their cushion but I can see where they can become uncomfortable. I've worn Birkis for years with no problem, but last year, for whatever reason, the balls of my feet starting hurting and all of my regular footbed Birkis were extremely uncomfortable,. I could only wear the one pair I have with the cushioned, soft footbed. This year, while the balls of my feet still hurt (and I don't know why) I can suddenly wear my regular Birkis again. Apparently feet can change that much from year to year.

Honored Contributor

On 6/1/2014 shoesnbags said:
On 6/1/2014 moonchilde said: Sorry for a slight change of topic, but wondering if anyone else has/had this issue. I want to try Birkenstocks, as I need the footbed (I wear Vionics and Abeos). But in the size 9 (my normal size) the toe grip just hits me in the wrong place and I know it would irritate me/cause blisters. The size 8 just isn't big enough - my toes go over the "lip" of the footbed and I have zero room at the back. Does this mean Birkenstocks just won't work for me? Anyone thing that trying a Narrow would help at all? The Medium seems to be okay, but I'm not a Birkenstock expert.

This is EXACTLY the problem I have with Birkenstocks. I can't wear them because my big toe appears to be too long for the space allotted for the toe. Going up too the next size just makes the entire shoe too long. I finally gave up. Then I solved the problem by going to Vionic/Orthaheel. No toe bar behind the big toe, so it feels great on my foot. Some feet just aren't made for that Birkenstock footbed.

Yet the Birkenstock removable orthotic insoles feel wonderful to me. I understand the whole toe grip thing, but never imagined it would keep me from wearing the shoes.
Honored Contributor

You ladies who suddenly can no longer wear Birkis may have some arthritis in your feet.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 6/1/2014 kivah said:

moonchilde: I wear size 7 wide in all shoes -- but I wear size 37 narrow in Birkenstocks/Birki's as they run WIDE. You probably need a narrow and ur feet will feel more secure. You can always order from zappos.com - free shipping & return. Get the soft footbed.

Thanks, Kivah. The issue with Zappos, etc. for me is that it's rare to find any of the shoes at sale prices in Narrow on the discounted sites. I've looked. I was able to try on an 8M and a 9M at a Nordstrom Rack, but they didn't have any narrows. The regular Nordstrom I was in today didn't have any out and they are supposed to carry them. I just don't want the hassle (even if free) of having to return something.
Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, I had severe pain on the balls of one of my feet -- and I had acupuncture. Never hurt again.

Super Contributor

On 6/1/2014 rarejan said:

I've worn Birkentstock's for many years and have loved them for their comfort and support. This year, I can't wear them. My feet have changed and how I walk as well. I'm so bummed. I never thought my back and hip issues would affect my walking gait and feet as much as they have. So I had to buy a different type of sandal this summer, one that's lighter and fits my feet more like a shoe, but still gives me the airy feel of a sandal. To a degree, Birk's require your feet and toes to grip the footbed when walking and I can't do that anymore. I noticed for me that my foot isn't as flexible as before either, if that makes any sense. Everyone's situation is different, but I never ever thought I'd have to give up my Birk's because I couldn't walk in them anymore.

If you are having issues with your knees or hips, that will change how your feet strike the floor as you walk. I have worn birkis for years, but found after I had total knees replacement in both knees I had to buy new shoes. Because Birkenstocks form to fit your foot, my old shoes had been formed when my legs were bowlegged. With straight legs, I couldn't wear them. With new shoes, I was able to break them in with my "new" legs and they work great.

It may be that a new pair of Birkinstocks will work for you.

Respected Contributor

Birks get "softer" as you wear them. I have old ones that feel like slippers. If you find them too stiff to begin with, put on a cushioned pair of socks with them to break them, the older they get the better. .... The "softbed" version starts out soft and stays that way even years later. For high arch folks they are wonderful, I wear all day if I can!