Trusted Contributor

Hello Shoe Lovers!

My local DSW store fell victim to the worker shortage this week.  I don't know if it's a regular thing or not... but the store was closed due to short staffing issues one day this week and the hours are limited for at least this weekend.

Anyone else experiencing?  

I was able to go back on a day it was open... Bought 4 pairs of shoes!  It wasn't the best expereience though.  I had to exchange a pair for the same exact pair (size and everything the same) like an hour later and the coupon didn't carry over.  

I am kind of mad about it out of the principle of the thing.  I understand the store policy and I didn't argue with the employee, but come on.  That is messed up. And I am debating taking all the shoes back or just getting a life and letting it go. LOL!

Honored Contributor

Our nearest DSW is closing next month.  There is another not too far away but honestly I don't find their prices much of a "discount" and find the same shoes at better prices elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

Sad to hear some of their locations are closing.😢

I really like the store near me.  I have to travel to get there, but have always had a positive experience.   And nice employees too.  I sure hope mine is able to survive and stay open!🤞

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Our store at the mall is still open.  I hope that is not one of the targeted to close.  I have a great coupon I need to use.  

Respected Contributor

@justashopper   Regarding the one pair of shoes you had to exchange was it because of a defect, or wrong size in one shoe of the pair?  

Since they were otherwise identical I don't see why the salesperson was unable to give you the same price.  

Don't know if it is worth you pursuing with corporate but a polite, nicely worded e-mail to them might get a good result, or at least an explanation why the store's employee was unable to transfer the coupon discount for you--maybe because the "code" had already  been used in the database and could not be overridden?  I have no clue since I never worked in retail.

The DSW store I go to is--so far--still open and is next to the Pentagon City Mall in Virginia.  I have not shopped "live" there since pre pandemic.  I have ordered some things online.

I always had mixed luck there--sometimes I could find several pairs of shoes or a purse, and other times not one thing.  Own a nice collection of evening bags from them and will never need any additional.   

I now often order my shoes online (not from them) with great success once I know a brand and how they are made and will fit.  I am a 7.5 narrow--4A toe and 5A heel so I am so elated that online purchasing offers a much larger selection and the ability to comparison shop for price, color, and size availability.

If you do pursue the issue would  you please come back and share the outcome?  Best of luck and enjoy wearing your new shoes!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Trusted Contributor

Re: Crazy Days at DSW

[ Edited ]

@aroc3435 

Hi!  thanks for the suggestion.  I did send an email-- like you suggested, nicely worded and asking if something can be done.  i will let you know what I hear.  I told a friend, I'd love to have a tally of all the money I have lost, missed out on or got ripped off.  Like when we get to heaven, can we ask, "hey, just curious-- how well did I do managing the money?" LOL

I agree DSW can be hit or miss.  Hence 4 pairs bought yesterday, but sometimes I find nothing.  Thankfully, t's not the only place nearby for shoes and not even my favorite.  But it is nice to have the option. 

Ordering shoes on line or QVC can also be hit or miss for me, especially sandals. 

What are some of your favorite brands?  

Respected Contributor

@justashopper   Some of my favorites:  Clark's, Naturalizer, VANELi, Franco Sarto, Sole Society, Cork-ease, L'Artiste,  and Bob's, Frye, La Canadienne, Miz Mooz, Sam Edelman, Kelsi Dagger, Ryka, and Dearfoams for slippers.

I was never a big fan of high heels so my feet are in pretty good shape.  Except for a very brief fling in the 1970s with platform shoes, I seldom wore heels unless I could get a ride to and from a dressy affair.  

I liked kitten heels and a max of 2 to 3 inch heels with a sturdy base--never wore spikes.  

Sandals have to be closed toe and I never liked any shoes without a back unless there was a sturdy back heel strap.

Love loafers and some of the Oxfords available now--such variety and colors to match with outfits.

When my feet are unhappy so am I!

Wishing you a good outcome with your query to DSW.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 

Some of my favorites, too!  Thanks for sharing your list and philosophy.  I agree!  We must take good care of our feet!

All the best!