Esteemed Contributor

I always check to see where a brand is made, especially a high end line. Always it says “Imported”.  Even Barefoot Dreams.  I’m pretty sure it wasn’t made in China when Oprah picked it for a favorite thing 10 years ago.  I have an old pair of Clarks, a pair of Frye boots, a dozen Dooney & Bourke handbags, two Coach bags and a RL bag all made here.   I also agree about the TSV’s being massed produced.  My Earth clogs cork sole came apart in chunks after 6 weeks.  Customer service doesn’t exist and I will never buy Earth again.

Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

So I decided to look at my shoes since I keep a photo inventory and both Clarks and Naturalizer shoes started to be made in Vietnam in the last few years. My oldest pair of Clarks clogs made in Vietnam were bought in 2016. I think my oldest pair of Naturalizer shoes made in Vietnam are from last year but I can't tell where my Bzees sandals were made since they had peel off plastic labels of origin which I removed when I bought those sandals in 2017 and 2018.

@TY  I just discovered Bzees and love their support and light weight. The salesman told me they were a Naturalizer brand, so I took a chance on them. I have never worn a more comfortable shoe. TY1, have your sandals held up? I am considering buying this brand for spring.

Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@TY wrote:

So I decided to look at my shoes since I keep a photo inventory and both Clarks and Naturalizer shoes started to be made in Vietnam in the last few years. My oldest pair of Clarks clogs made in Vietnam were bought in 2016. I think my oldest pair of Naturalizer shoes made in Vietnam are from last year but I can't tell where my Bzees sandals were made since they had peel off plastic labels of origin which I removed when I bought those sandals in 2017 and 2018.

@TY  I just discovered Bzees and love their support and light weight. The salesman told me they were a Naturalizer brand, so I took a chance on them. I have never worn a more comfortable shoe. TY1, have your sandals held up? I am considering buying this brand for spring.

You might want to check the Naturalizer website for Bzees. They have nice sales.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

Hotter brand shoes which are similar to Clark's are mostly made in the UK.

Trusted Contributor
People act like this is something new. This started many years ago. We lost many industries that were made almost solely in the United States. For instance, greeting cards. I only buy the ones made in the U.S. and they are much cheaper than the ones made in China. I find both in all the stores, including Hallmark. You have to look though.
Esteemed Contributor

@SunValley 

Yes, my Bzees sandals have held up very well. I wore the print pair all last summer and I wore the black pair also when I bought it last summer. They are both comfortable too.

Respected Contributor

@mom2four0418  Thank you for that suggestion. I will!

Esteemed Contributor

@TY wrote:

If you have been reading Footwear News' website over the last year, one of the reasons that shoe manufacturers have moved a lot of their shoe manufacturing from China to other asian countries is due to U.S. tariffs on shoes made in China. 

@TY - that may be true now but clothing and shoes have been made in Vietnam for many years as part of socioeconomic redevelopment post war.  My niece is part of a social responsibility team for a known brand.  She travels to China, Jordan, Indonesia, India, Vietnam, Korea & Cambodia to monitor working conditions in factories.  The American workforce is too expensive to utilize.  The hourly wages, workers comp, benefits & regulations make it difficult in addition, most Americans just don't want to do factory work.  Many Chinese goods are moved through other Asian countries to avoid tariffs.  If we want American made, we have to higher prices.