Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clarks getting VERY expensive

Clarks last forever,you cannot destroy them!

Honored Contributor

Recently purchased 3 strap Clarks sandle.
Couldn't believe sizing. Returning won't repurchase.
Honored Contributor

Q has some Clarks Ashland Bubble shoes 'as is' for 40 I got the last pair in brown multi size 8 wide.

I bought a pair of these shoes last Nov and wore them all thru the winter. I just buy Clarks pretty much it. They 'understand' my feet, no break in time, no big toe pinching, etc.

First pair I paid considerably more for thru Amazon that I saved money from under the Q's price. 

Love these shoes !

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I know this is dumb and I don't care but in some ways it doesn't make sense that they charge more money for a better made shoe.  I can understand if it's leather vs fake leather or suede vs fake suede, but if they're both leather and very similar, it doesn't make sense.  I'm not saying it's wrong, just curious.

Except for the sole on the shoes (breaking) it doesn't seem much different.

I never will forget the time I was going into the dentist office and stepped out of the car and the entire sole of the shoe flopped off!  It was just hanging near the toe part.

I had to go in so I found a rubber band and put it around my foot.

I had to go directly home afterward (was going to run errands).  When I got home I pulled on the other shoe and it came apart.  Then I found another pair I'd had for a while and there was a minor separation.

I think they used to use some kind of thread that would rot and separate the sole from the leather part.

I haven't noticed it sense.  I have so many shoes no one would believe it.  All that and I mainly wear Birkenstock because of my back.

I recently bought the inserts (the one's where you got the whole insert and the part insert) from Vionic shoes.

A long time ago I bought inserts (from QVC when they used to sell them) Birkenstock inserts.

There seems to be a construction problem with the Clarks line.  There have been previous threads on this forum about the Clarks sole issue, and many Internet comments.  The soles are prone to break apart and fall off.  I have had this happen with my last 3 pairs of Clarks.  My third pair fell apart while I was traveling, so I left them in the trash can at a rest stop on I-95.  When I took a pair to my very experienced shoe repairman, he laughed when I walked in & said "those must be Clarks."  He then told me most Clarks soles are plastic and they are glued to the shoe, not hand stitched.  The machine stitching around the top of the sole is for decorative purposes and does little to hold the sole to the upper.  He said the glue dries out, especially if shoes are stored in a shoebox for long periods.  They are unrepairable.  Clarks replaced one pair for me, but I have stopped purchasing their brand.  Shame because I do like Clarks styles and they fit my feet well.  When the price goes up over $100 there are much higher quality brands available.

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder how well Clarks and other shoe companies are doing in today's economy. The high U.S. dollar exchange rate is cutting in to many companies's bottom line.

Here's a recent article about Clarks shoes from Footwear News (Footwear News is a fashion website devoted to all things shoes and the website is owned by Fairchild Publishing, parent company of W and WWD).

http://footwearnews.com/2016/business/uncategorized/gary-champion-rejoins-clarks-americas-as-preside...