Honored Contributor

Re: Choosing a bag to wear to a wedding. Help!

How does one ""wear"" a bag or a clutch? On your head? I carry my bags. Just an observation...

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Oh my gosh, carry whatever bag you want. I certainly wouldn't go out and buy a clutch just for a wedding, and especially not if you don't like them.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 6/10/2014 KathyPet said: I agree with other posters. No tote. A clutch bag or a small dressy bag with a chain to put on your shoulder.

I would avoid a chain strap because they tend to slide off of the pew or a table or chair and sound like a chain saw going off. Don't ask how I KNOW that. . .

Esteemed Contributor

I like something that has some sort of strap to allow you to carry it and not lose it. Clutches are fine but if they have no strap it might be easy to put down and forget it.

Respected Contributor

Gabby65: Gorgeous dress! Where did you buy this? It is so my style.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/10/2014 luvmyteddy said:
On 6/10/2014 KJPA said:
On 6/10/2014 Gabby65 said:

Thank you all. If I find a reasonable clutch I like I will buy it. The schedule is wedding: 2-3 with dinner and merriment 4 - 8 at the church hall.

If I don't find a clutch I won't carry anything to the wedding but will carry something small in to the church hall afterward.

This is my grandson getting married and I'm so excited!!! I bought this dress for the wedding.

Gorgeous! Have a wonderful time and best wishes to all of you, especially the bride and groom!

Beautiful dress. I would buy an inexpensive clutch that has a hidden chain inside. That way you won't lose it and you could wear it two ways.

I agree. I love the dress too, and it's actually similar to something I just bought today for a wedding in July. Not quite the same, but close!

A tote would take away from the prettiness of this dress, IMO. Much too big and much too heavy-looking. I definitely agree that a clutch with a hidden chain would look lovely & be practical too.

Congratulations to you, and to the bride & groom also!

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/11/2014 Bungo said:

And we are off again. Why do people worry so much about what to wear to a wedding? I don't think anyone cares or will remember.

Now about the handbag. Take as little as possible. A clutch is a great idea. The wedding will probably last an hour tops and then on to the reception. Freshen up in the car. Think about how much stuff you really need to carry in that bag? And how much you will use during the wedding?

I don't think it has anything at all to do with "worrying". People want to look nice. That's pleasurable for many of us, and fun too! Personally, I don't dress for anyone else so I couldn't care less if they care or will remember. (And photos are taken at weddings - especially of the family - so for sure people will remember!)

This is her grandson's wedding! Of course she wants to look good & dress appropriately. It's little things like this that mean a lot. Personally, I feel better if I've put some thought into what I wear. It's a no-brainer, IMO.

I don't see anyone worrying at all, and certainly not worrying "so much". I see someone excited about a big event in her life and asking for advice. No stress, no negativity, no complaining. She simply posted a question and people replied. Have you never had a conversation like this in real life? Talking about fashion is fun! If you don't think so, that's fine. But please don't characterize it as worrying when that's not at all what this is about.

Kiss

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/11/2014 ID2 said:

How does one "wear" a bag or a clutch? On your head? I carry my bags. Just an observation...

I've heard that expression my entire life. I don't say it myself, but this is certainly not the first time I've heard someone say that they wear a bag. I think I've heard it on QVC also, now that I think about it.

Kiss

Super Contributor

On 6/11/2014 Bungo said:

And we are off again. Why do people worry so much about what to wear to a wedding? I don't think anyone cares or will remember.

Because people care about the bride and groom. It's a special event, once in a lifetime (theoretically), and people want to make the effort. If you show up in cut-offs and flip-flops, people will remember. Wink

Contributor

On 6/11/2014 loveour4leggedfriends said:

Gabby65: Gorgeous dress! Where did you buy this? It is so my style.

Thanks, I got the dress at the Navy Exchange retail store. It's by Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit and carried at many dept. stores.