Contributor

Choosing a bag to wear to a wedding. Help!

I'm having the hardest time choosing a bag to wear to an afternoon church wedding next month. Must I carry a small clutch or can I carry this Coach Madison Mini N/S Tote?

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/Product-madison_mini_north_south_tote_in_saffiano_leather-10551...

I can see myself using the mini tote a lot but I'd never use the clutch again.

Respected Contributor

Re: Choosing a bag to wear to a wedding. Help!

Respected Contributor

How formal is the wedding?

Contributor

Thanks Hoovermom. That's it.

Contributor

The wedding is out of town and nothing has been said about dress.

Honored Contributor

Buy an inexpensive clutch at Forever 21 of a place like that, problem solved. The tote bag is just too large for any catered affair

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

What are you wearing? Here are some tips that may give you a clue to how formal the wedding is:

How to Dress for an Afternoon Wedding. If you've been invited to a late afternoon wedding, technically one that is held after 4 p.m. but before 6 p.m., probably one of your first thoughts is that you don't know what to wear. This is a tricky time of day for wedding dress codes, particularly because the reception runs into the evening when dressier attire is appropriate. Just read the following pointers to help you decide what to wear.
Note the ceremony and reception locations. These are also clues to the formality level. A ceremony and reception at someone's home is either informal or semi-formal, but a late afternoon affair at a church and exclusive club is likely dressier.
Wear a short cocktail dress or dressy suit for an informal or semi-formal late afternoon wedding. For a formal late afternoon wedding, wear a dressy cocktail dress or a less formal long dress.
Choose a dark suit and a conservative tie for any type of late afternoon wedding, unless the invitation specifies a black tie event. Then dust off your tuxedo or hit the rental store.
Did this help?

Honored Contributor

On 6/10/2014 Gabby65 said:

The wedding is out of town and nothing has been said about dress.

The time of the wedding and the invitation are good cues to help you figure out formality. The later the wedding time, usually the more formal the dress. (This link has some good information about wedding guest dress guidelines)

I don't think a clutch is required. I know that if I have a strapless bag, I'll leave it somewhere and lose it, so I never do a clutch - no exceptions.

Last month I was in the bridal party for a mermaid-themed wedding. I had a purple dress and the bride selected aqua fishnets to wear with it. I knew that ahead of time, so I brought the Dooney patent hobo in Seafoam green. I got it on clearance and it was large enough to hold everything I needed and also fit the theme. The bride and groom drove off in a '57 Chevy Belair, also in Seafoam green, so I fit even better than I thought.

Dooney & Bourke Patent Leather Flap Pleated Hobo

Respected Contributor

I would only wear a clutch. You can go from a casual style for an afternoon wedding to more of an evening look for the pm. I always wear clutches for formal dinners, weddings, etc. Do not like the look of a regular bag at all. The clutch just gives you a really polished look.

Super Contributor

On 6/10/2014 Gabby65 said:

I'm having the hardest time choosing a bag to wear to an afternoon church wedding next month.

Well, if you want to wear a bag, that's your choice. I'd probably wear a dress. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}