Respected Contributor

Re: Busted! DH was home when GILI bags arrived! :(((

I take it as Benz being funny because she was surprised the packages came early. I am sitting here smiling enjoy your bags and I hope you like them. By the way Hi Benzgirl hope all is well with you.

Regular Contributor

I'm sure glad this isn't a judgmental group.

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/1/2014 tiny 2 said:

My husband is such an enabler. Get it, Get it. LOL

My husband was the same way. He never cared what I bought or how much I spent, and often would encourage me if I hesitated to buy something I wanted. We trusted each other enough not to over-spend or do anything else crazy without having to constantly monitor each other's activity.

I know the OP is pretty much only joking, but I can't imagine being in a marriage where I had to worry about my husband admonishing me for something like this. I've seen so many threads here over the years about hiding packages so hubby doesn't see, etc, so I realize my opinion is not a popular one in these forums.

Marriage is a partnership. One person should not be dictating to the other. and one person's wishes should not consistently over-ride the other. I realize that people are happy in all kinds of marriages, and that's fine for them. This is clearly JMO!

Kiss

Honored Contributor

On 11/1/2014 kachina624 said:
On 11/1/2014 tough_kitty said: No husband = no problem. Lol.
Amen!

... and Hallelujah!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 11/1/2014 NYC Susan said:

My husband was the same way. He never cared what I bought or how much I spent, and often would encourage me if I hesitated to buy something I wanted. We trusted each other enough not to over-spend or do anything else crazy without having to constantly monitor each other's activity.

I know the OP is pretty much only joking, but I can't imagine being in a marriage where I had to worry about my husband admonishing me for something like this. I've seen so many threads here over the years about hiding packages so hubby doesn't see, etc, so I realize my opinion is not a popular one in these forums.

Marriage is a partnership. One person should not be dictating to the other. and one person's wishes should not consistently over-ride the other. I realize that people are happy in all kinds of marriages, and that's fine for them. This is clearly JMO!

Kiss

Your opinion is just fine with me...

Growing up, I watched the women in my family hide their purchases for years. There was sometimes quite a bit of humor to it, and a camaraderie among them, but it's nice to be able to 'savor the moment' without having to time it just right...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I believe that if a woman exercises restraint and doesn't threaten to put the household budget in jeopardy, there should be no reason to have to justify a purchase. For that matter, the same goes for the husband. It works both ways. We all deserve a little something arriving at the door occasionally that will make us happy.
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/1/2014 stevieb said:
On 11/1/2014 NYC Susan said:

Kiss

Your opinion is just fine with me...

Growing up, I watched the women in my family hide their purchases for years. There was sometimes quite a bit of humor to it, and a camaraderie among them, but it's nice to be able to 'savor the moment' without having to time it just right...

I guess I grew up differently. I never saw that or experienced it in any way. The need to hide just isn't humorous, IMO. I always thought marriage was about compromise and sharing, not about one person dominating the other.

I absolutely, completely understand wanting to savor the moment. That's big for me too.

But she said she wanted to gently ease them into her wardrobe undetected. She also said she was "busted". Yes, I understand her lighthearted tone, but she did use those words. And I don't understand how the fun of savoring the moment has been lost. For me, anticipation is part of the fun, too. She can wait to open them in private if she wants. Or open them right away and share her happiness with whoever is around at the time, even if it is her husband. The timing of the arrival of packages & whether my husband would be home or not is just not anything I can imagine being the slightest bit concerned about.

Kiss

Super Contributor

Benzgirl, I totally get what you are saying! The rest of you can get off your high horses before you fall off! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you to those who realized this was meant to be a humorous post! I opened both of my beautiful bags this evening and even took the croc out for a little spin when DH and I went to dinner. For those voicing concern that 'keeping secrets' in a marriage is not healthy, I would absolutely agree but feel that it might help you to know that DH and I have been together for 40 years - - please don't be concerned that a little thing like the purchase of a handbag is going to harm this relationship. I hope that you will read my post in the spirit it was intended. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

My husband is not controlling, and I am not an over-the-top shopper. Our budget is well in line and we confer on major purchases. But when I do splurge just a little occasionally I'd rather sit and examine the spoils alone, at leisure, and then introduce them one by one as attractive additions to my wardrobe. Half the time DH doesn't even notice or just compliments me when he sees a new acquisition. There's something about having to open a big, unannounced box of goodies in front of your spouse, though, that makes it a little awkward and mildly guilt-inducing, somehow.......