Trusted Contributor

Birkenstock gard vs soft insole

Has anyone here tried the Birkenstock soft insole?  I have only had the hard and wondered if the soft had the same support/ features as the hard.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Birkenstock gard vs soft insole

Go to other Birkenstock threads here.  We have discussed all Birkenstocks.

I have around 80 pair of Birkenstock and other's have many different one's also.

Just type in Birkenstock and other threads here will pop up.

Respected Contributor

@2zbeach  I have tons of the hard soles, but only a couple pairs of the cushy ones.  I'd say they don't have as much support as the hard ones do, but if you have sore bunions or corns, or even boney feet, they won't rub on them as much as the hard ones do.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I have both and I prefer the soft footbed and feel it doesn't affect the support of the sandal.

Respected Contributor

@2zbeach

I have a couple of the soft bed and I don't think they have the same support as the regular ones.  The regular footbed seems to conform better to my foot.  I like the soft footbed as slippers, but in general, I prefer the regular.

Honored Contributor

I cannot wear regular Birkis due to the high, hard arch.  I have flat feet and that arch support feels like a boulder in my shoe.  I can wear the soft footbed as it's not as intrusive.  I don't know how you'd determine if they have the same support.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Have been wearing Birkenstock's since the late 1960's. Tried a soft footbed; didn't like it nearly as much as the support offered by the original footbed. Just wish the original footbeds came in as many fashionable styles and colors as the soft footbeds! I'll stay with the tried and true forever. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

I will only wear soft beds. 

Trusted Contributor

@2zbeach wrote:

Has anyone here tried the Birkenstock soft insole?  I have only had the hard and wondered if the soft had the same support/ features as the hard.  Thanks!

The soft sole is great - I have a pair of clogs with soft sole.  However, it is just added padding on top of the regular sole so don't let it scare you off.  For someone new to the brand it probably shortens the break-in time a little.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks,everyone. I think I will stick with the hard for the time being.  Now to decide wide or narrow....I had no idea some Birkis came in both. Guess I’ll be reading reviews and fit tips. Help was much appreciated!