Honored Contributor

I received a catalog from Birkenstock.  I went to their site and wanted to order a pair but sizing is so confusing.  There is regular/wide and medium/narrow.  I followed their instructions on how to figure out which one to choose.  There is hardly any in my suggested size is I go with regular/wide.  I don't know if I should order my size in the med/narrow.  Honestly I don't get the difference betweeen regular and medium.  I gave up.  I've ordered a couple pair from HSN and just went with my 6-6.5.  There was no choice as to med/narrow or reg/wide.  I'm frustrated.  Any suggestions?????

Esteemed Contributor

They don't make easy do they?

You MUST be very careful on either QVC or HSN, they are so sly.  Honestly I won't order from either.

Birki regular/open footprint are the wide.  

Birki narrow/closed footprint are the regular.

Channels rarely make it clear, so deceptive.

I am a 8 1/2 wide and get the regular 39.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

You MUST be very careful on either QVC or HSN, they are so sly.  Honestly I won't order from either.

QVC does not sell Birkenstock.  HSN does.  Why the need to be careful?  

So according to the info you provided I should go with regular/narrow.  I always wear a med in all shoes.  I don't have a narrrow or wide foot.  

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 - I've worn Birkenstocks since I was young, and I have lots of them. My first pair was a men's Arizona. Now I have a bunch of colors!

The easiest way I can describe it is the Birkenstock (European) narrow is equal to an American medium. The European average is actually an American wide. In American sizing I wear  "B" so I get a Birkenstock narrow.

The Birkenstock "narrow" width is an American A or B width (which I think is closest to average in the US).

The Birkenstock "regular"  is an American C or D width (which I think is closest to wide in the US). 

HTH a little!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Birkenstock Sizing

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@rms1954 - I've worn Birkenstocks since I was young, and I have lots of them. My first pair was a men's Arizona. Now I have a bunch of colors!

The easiest way I can describe it is the Birkenstock (European) narrow is equal to an American medium. The European average is actually an American wide. In American sizing I wear  "B" so I get a Birkenstock narrow.

The Birkenstock "narrow" width is an American A or B width (which I think is closest to average in the US).

The Birkenstock "regular"  is an American C or D width (which I think is closest to wide in the US). 

HTH a little!  Smiley Happy

THANK YOU!!  This helps me out greatly.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

QVC does not sell Birkenstock.  HSN does.  Why the need to be careful?  

So according to the info you provided I should go with regular/narrow.  I always wear a med in all shoes.  I don't have a narrrow or wide foot.  

QVC used to carry them.  

I recently looked at HSN and never was it clear what they were selling.  Finally was able spot a regular by a photo oddly enough.  No mention was made.

If you have been a medium in your shoes then you are correct, get the "narrow", closed footprint shoe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Birkenstock Sizing

[ Edited ]

How is explaining the sizing of shoes that have been sold in European sizes forever being sly and deceptive?  The explainations are to help choose size according to your feet!  I have found that the regular size - not wide - in a size smaller is perfect for me even though I wear a wide in man y other shoes and that is what I have bought since the '80's after ordering my first pair and finding they were a  bit loose!  Works for me and not everyone!  Just like any type of apparel, you probably will need to find out just what will work for you as all sizing is dependent on your own particular needs!

Respected Contributor

Just to confuse everyone Arizona is for men and women and that's the reason that the narrow medium is a woman's medium, because the medium wide is the man's width.

I also have dozens of Birkenstocks and a lot of their models are unisex. Also the proper fit of a Birkenstock is supposed to be just a little bit larger than your foot because your foot rides around in the cradle of the shoe, and that's most important in the length, otherwise your toes will keep bumping up against the end of the platform.  

I know this because the first pair I bought I bought in my regular size they were just a little too short and after wearing them for a month or so I began to realize that when my foot pushed forward it would ride over the end and it was painful.

I wear a size 10 wide but I always get a 42 even though they listed as an 11 -11 1/2. I could never wear anything that long in a regular shoe but I would not go down to a 41 it would be too short.

Trusted Contributor

I'm size 8 medium. I wear 38 with filled in footbed in Birkenstock sandals, all of their styles. I cannot wear their closed in shoes because I would need size 38.5, which very few manufacturers offer. This holds true for Alegria, Dansko etc. One thing about Birks.....the unisex sandals fit a bit wider than the sandals made for women only. I buy the unisex sandals with all straps adjustable, and I always buy the soft footbed. 

Honored Contributor

@rms1954   The Q used to sell tons of Birkies, great colrs and styles you'd not see elsewhere. Here is where I got hooked  .I don't like any of the styles on hsn, they only have about 3-4.

after having many styles, the only one i wear now is a single strap, I still have many and a few still from the Q many eons ago.

Typically I'm a true 6.5M USA sizing. In Birkies sizes this should be a 37. I do have a couple of 37 but I really go for 36.  I've no idea if any are more narrow, they all fit perfectly for me in 36EU.