Occasional Contributor

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could please recommend some sandals for a bunion sufferer? Smiley Embarassed I have tried vionics, but the insole ends up hurting my feet after a while. This is my first post and I'm a little nervous. They could be QVC brand or available on amazon or anywhere. Thanks so much in advance. Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

Re: Best sandals for bunion?

I have a med. to large bunion on one foot and can only wear one brand of sandals....Clarks. The particular style is one that has an adjustable (velcro) 3-strap. Qvc has one..A251816 Leisa Cacti Strap Slides..but it is very limited in sizes. I have also bought them online at Peltz Shoes. I have multiple pairs in different colors as they the only shoes I can wear. The strap design may vary, but as long as they are the 3-strap adjustable they all work for me. I would wear these sandals even if I didn't have the bunion. 

You could also google Clarks Slides as the different styles would have different names. HTH

Respected Contributor

Hi @fortunequeen .  I have a not-too-bad bunion on one foot and high arches...I always order sandals in a wide width, and most brands work well for me.  

You probably should make a trip to a couple shoe stores and try on different brands to see what works for you...then you will know what brands to look at online.

Good luck...it's important to have comfy footwear!

Honored Contributor

My MIL had bunions and she swore by Birkenstock Pisa soft footbed.The sandals are expensive, but they are very high quality and last forever. Don't trust HSN for Birkenstocks go to the Birkenstock web site and go from there. If you see something there you like you may be able to find it cheaper somewhere else online.

Respected Contributor

@fortunequeen  you don't say what kind of sandal you are looking for....heel or flat. But if you are looking for a flat casual sandal try the Earth brand with the sueded adjustable strap.  There are several varieties of these.  They offer enough coverage so the bunion doesn't "pop" out of the side, but are soft on the bunion.  Good Luck.

Super Contributor

Have you ever considered having the bunion removed? If it is causing pain, wouldn't insurance cover it? I once had a BF, who had a bunion, and he had it removed. Easy peasy!

Valued Contributor

Birkenstocks work for my mom.  Soft footbed.  I think the style she likes is the Gizeh.  It's like a flip flop but with support.

I hope whatever sandal you choose will be helpful.  Removal should be a last resort.  It's anything but easy peasy to recover from.  I know women who have had it done. 

Honored Contributor

@fortunequeen I have a bunion, and am most comfortable in wide boots and Fly London sandles which lace up, in the summer, or have soft enough leather that I can put my shoe stretcher in them. 

Clarks run narrow and I can't wear them.

Also, so you can adjust shoes so you don't have pain, you need...

A bunion stretcher ball ring ( both amazon)

FootFitter Ball & Ring Cast Iron Bunion Stretcher

and a shoe stretcher to widen shoes.  I leave this on for several days before wearing a new shoe.  You want one like this with a handle you can get your hand through to tork it.  Plastic ones break.

FootSmart Women's High Heel Shoe Stretcher

These will allow you to make shoes fit and to make them more comfortable.  They're invaluable!

Esteemed Contributor

@fortunequeen. Welcome and don't be nervous.

I have bunions on both feet.  For around the house I like Vionic Tide flip flop or Clark's Cloudsteppers.  The latter have fabric that has some give.  Sandals with adjustable straps work well.  Earth is a good brand as is Clark's.   If you have a DSW nearby, spend some time trying on different brands and styles.  Then you can order with whomever has the best price.

Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I have a spur on a bunion. I saw the doctor who operates on the Boston Ballet dancers. He said he could remove the bunion. I asked him what his infection rate was and he said three percent. Sounded great until he told me I'd be on antibiotics for three months. It does not cause me pain. I have Crohn's disease and unnecessary antibiotics for three months is out of the question.

What makes the problem worse is I have narrow feet. Re sandals: they must have the adjustable strap. 

Also I found that Aerosoles are the best brand for me. I think Isaac uses them because I've seen identical shoes from him. This has made a big difference for me because aerosoles run narrow.

I used to take my shoes to a shoemaker to be stretched but he went out of business recently. I will order the devices shown.