Respected Contributor

What's the deal with his handbags? There's hardly any talk about his bags and they have a whole forum dedicated to him.

I was at TJ Maxx recently and saw a few of his bags. The bags looked as though they were a leather-like material; very thin.

Has he retired the handbag business? There's surely a change. Maybe he sold his company? The few I have of his at least the leather is thick and looks like leather.

I wouldn't buy one today.

Respected Contributor

The company was sold to a large Chinese conglomerate a few years ago. Bruce M stayed on, but clearly his role and focus are different now. And the handbags aren't the same either.

Respected Contributor
On 3/3/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

The company was sold to a large Chinese conglomerate a few years ago. Bruce M stayed on, but clearly his role and focus are different now. And the handbags aren't the same either.

Well, that explains everything. Thanks

Honored Contributor

Maybe they'll finally get rid of the ugly animal print linings .....

Frequent Contributor

Well, that explains why I haven't found any Bruce M handbags on the Q for quite a long time. They were my favorite handbags. Tignanello were my 2nd favorites--they're rarely on anymore either!!!! Very disappointing. Dooney bags are ugly & too pricey & that's about all that are on these days--and they're on way too much!!!

Valued Contributor

The handbags today look nothing like what they did when he first came on the Q. I have the belted double handled glove leather shopper that was the TSV when he first came on and till this day I receive compliments every time I wear it. I would say it's my favorite bag and the one I get the most use out of. Still looks brand new. The bags on the Q now don't have anything in common with his original line which is too bad.

Honored Contributor
On 5/4/2014 PeaJay said:

Well, that explains why I haven't found any Bruce M handbags on the Q for quite a long time. They were my favorite handbags. Tignanello were my 2nd favorites--they're rarely on anymore either!!!! Very disappointing. Dooney bags are ugly & too pricey & that's about all that are on these days--and they're on way too much!!!

Tig is owned by the same Chinese company too...as is KVZ.

Trusted Contributor
On 5/4/2014 PeaJay said:

Makowsky and tiganello were the same company owned by Bruce, I don't know if tiganello was also bought by the Chinese. I'm guessing they probably were.
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Every BMak I've ever ordered, I returned, including the one I just received today. They don't seem to live up to the sales presentations at all. I recently ordered the floral tote, and it's so cheap, I would swear it was faux leather or cloth - close to 200 bucks. Bad. Anyway, it makes sense that the company was sold because the way Bruce used to talk about his bags so proudly, I can't imagine that he would be proud of this product today.

Honored Contributor

I think the forum was created toward the end of his 'fifteen minutes'. Why they keep it, or the line, I'll never know. There are so many options, you have to wonder why they hold onto the brand when it's hardly ever presented and apparently, given the volume of them being sold in 'as-is', quite a few of them didn't go over so well with customers. Personally, I'd like to see them deep six BMak and Tig and bring in a few other brands. And gosh yes, I really disliked that awful, flimsy lining!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...