Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are VB bags getting less popular?

Where I live is a resort area with a large % of seniors. They are not popular here, I can't remember seeing any.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are VB bags getting less popular?

On 11/14/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 11/13/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/13/2014 Hi Cindy said:

I have a VB store in my town (Roseville, Ca) and the store is generally full. They have a lot of sales to keep up the interest. There are quite a few seniors in there; not too many college kids. More of us (retirement age) are gravitating toward the solid microfibers (I just got the VB tango red in the turnlock satchel) or sticking to the accessories in the prints. I have a couple of Dooneys, but most of my bags have to be lighter due to shoulder issues (Kipling, Baggallini, Liebeskind nylon/leather). I love VB accessories to put in there to keep the overall weight down (wallet, glasses case etc.). I have travel pieces, which I love, but when I have offered to loan them to younger family members, the answer was a polite"no". So...I only gift the small items (cosmetic cases, notepads, travel mugs etc.) and everyone likes those.

I have to laugh because at my retirement community, everyone has their hair just so, make-up on, putting in time at the gym, and wearing snazzy outfits. No "old ladies" here; they even bristle at the word "seniors". The word "boomers" is a safe bet. We are fighting off old age stereotypes with a vengeance and a big ole glass of white wine.

Still, I see a lot of totes and hipster bags and the Canterberry and Bittersweet are coming out now along with the darker solids. I very much enjoy VB and I only "discovered" them a couple of years ago.

I don't think you can say what goes in California is what goes everywhere in America. All of America is not as obsessed with youth, physical appearance and age as Californians. And there are thousands and thousands of senior citizens in this country who are not baby boomers - for instance anyone over 68 years old. Also, there are many boomers who are far from yet being senior citizens.

Her comment was no different at all from your opening post. You described what you see in your area, and she's describing what she sees in her area. Neither can necessarily be a comment upon this large and diverse country.

And speaking of generalizing, just wow to your "All of America is not as obsessed with youth, physical appearance and age as Californians."

Gross generalizations seem to be a specialty... Yesterday, it was about holiday decor and what 'most' people prefer. Of course, those who don't prefer what she prefers clearly like their homes to look like hotels...

And incidentally, for the record, I don't know if it bears any relationship to my age, or to where I'm located geographically.... but I do not now nor have I ever cared for Vera Bradley bags.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...