Honored Contributor

Re: Are VB bags getting less popular?

On 11/13/2014 Puppy Lips said:
On 11/13/2014 benzgirl said:
On 11/13/2014 bbluvr said:
On 11/13/2014 millieshops said:

I don't think they're so much out of fashion as they are out of season. Even in southern Florida where my winter condo is, there's a difference in how the women dress during the traditionally winter months. That's what I see.

When late February comes and people are anxious for spring, VB will probably be more prevalent. I own just one, but that's when I will use it, not now.

i agree. it is more of a spring/summer look. Except for the quilted solid ones. I have a quilted red one that i use in the fall/winter. But I have several floral brights that I pull out when the weather is warmer. Down here in TX you see them a lot!

I agree with this statement as well. Unless you are carrying a solid color VB, I feel they look a bit out of place for winter. I just put away my Camellia Vera's. (Tennessee here). Love them, but IMO they clash with my winter wardrobe.

I am a recent Vera Bradley fan here in Central Florida, and I think they will look fine year round. My winter wardrobe is long pants/jeans and a top, vs. pedal pushers or capris and a top. I like these purses so much more than anything I found at the stores or at QVC with all their "famous" brands. I want to keep things simple. All the designer heavy leather bags with hardware, tassels, and chains -- ugh -- fine for others, but not for me. And for the life of me, I don't know why women need such huge bags. What all are they putting in there?

In my area of SW Florida they are year round too. Right now I am sitting here in capris and a tank top so since we dress summer all year we can use our VB all year as well.

I did notice that many ladies brought their sewing to sewing club yesterday in a VB tote so maybe that is getting to be the more popular use of them.Totes for the beach or shopping or carrying stuff to sewing club.

Honored Contributor

I think there are still lots of Vera bags out and about in my area, but from what I've noticed, most are florals and lighter in color, and lend themselves better to summer time use. I wish I could find more in the darker colors as I prefer to carry them year round.

It took me a long time to purchase my first one, because I really don't like most of the fabrics that are used, but there are a few I've found that I like well enough. I carry them mostly because of the weight. They are so extremely light, even when full, that it is like having nothing on your shoulder. I have other bags, but almost never carry them now.

I love how you can toss them in the washer and they come out looking like new, as well.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a VB store in my town (Roseville, Ca) and the store is generally full. They have a lot of sales to keep up the interest. There are quite a few seniors in there; not too many college kids. More of us (retirement age) are gravitating toward the solid microfibers (I just got the VB tango red in the turnlock satchel) or sticking to the accessories in the prints. I have a couple of Dooneys, but most of my bags have to be lighter due to shoulder issues (Kipling, Baggallini, Liebeskind nylon/leather). I love VB accessories to put in there to keep the overall weight down (wallet, glasses case etc.). I have travel pieces, which I love, but when I have offered to loan them to younger family members, the answer was a polite"no". So...I only gift the small items (cosmetic cases, notepads, travel mugs etc.) and everyone likes those.

I have to laugh because at my retirement community, everyone has their hair just so, make-up on, putting in time at the gym, and wearing snazzy outfits. No "old ladies" here; they even bristle at the word "seniors". The word "boomers" is a safe bet. We are fighting off old age stereotypes with a vengeance and a big ole glass of white wine.

Still, I see a lot of totes and hipster bags and the Canterberry and Bittersweet are coming out now along with the darker solids. I very much enjoy VB and I only "discovered" them a couple of years ago.

Honored Contributor

On 11/13/2014 Hi Cindy said:

I have a VB store in my town (Roseville, Ca) and the store is generally full. They have a lot of sales to keep up the interest. There are quite a few seniors in there; not too many college kids. More of us (retirement age) are gravitating toward the solid microfibers (I just got the VB tango red in the turnlock satchel) or sticking to the accessories in the prints. I have a couple of Dooneys, but most of my bags have to be lighter due to shoulder issues (Kipling, Baggallini, Liebeskind nylon/leather). I love VB accessories to put in there to keep the overall weight down (wallet, glasses case etc.). I have travel pieces, which I love, but when I have offered to loan them to younger family members, the answer was a polite"no". So...I only gift the small items (cosmetic cases, notepads, travel mugs etc.) and everyone likes those.

I have to laugh because at my retirement community, everyone has their hair just so, make-up on, putting in time at the gym, and wearing snazzy outfits. No "old ladies" here; they even bristle at the word "seniors". The word "boomers" is a safe bet. We are fighting off old age stereotypes with a vengeance and a big ole glass of white wine.

Still, I see a lot of totes and hipster bags and the Canterberry and Bittersweet are coming out now along with the darker solids. I very much enjoy VB and I only "discovered" them a couple of years ago.

I don't think you can say what goes in California is what goes everywhere in America. All of America is not as obsessed with youth, physical appearance and age as Californians. And there are thousands and thousands of senior citizens in this country who are not baby boomers - for instance anyone over 68 years old. Also, there are many boomers who are far from yet being senior citizens.

Super Contributor

Where I live, I see them all around me, all ages. As a matter of fact, they seem to be getting more popular. I wear mine all year round and have different colors for different seasons.

Respected Contributor

I don't think they're so much out of fashion as they are out of season. Even in southern Florida where my winter condo is, there's a difference in how the women dress during the traditionally winter months. That's what I see.

When late February comes and people are anxious for spring, VB will probably be more prevalent. I own just one, but that's when I will use it, not now.

Yes, I agree. I tend to use mine in the warmer months and carry a leather purse in fall and winter.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/13/2014 FastDogWalker2 said:

Yes, I agree. I tend to use mine in the warmer months and carry a leather purse in fall and winter.

I agree about the seasonal thing. However, I do still see them everywhere. Since they are so light, I can see some being functional all year. For example, duffle bags. I use the Go-Around tote (now discontinued) every day for work at school. The fact that it starts out light is a big help, that coupled with the great organization. All their many accessories are wonderful, too.

Since they are now expanding their focus to solid-colored microfiber bags, you may be seeing those around and not even recognize it as a VB bag. I love the black, quilted microfiber bags.

Honored Contributor

I'd carry my Canterberry Magenta in the winter, although I carry my Dooney bags more than my Vera's.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 11/13/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/13/2014 Hi Cindy said:

I don't think you can say what goes in California is what goes everywhere in America. All of America is not as obsessed with youth, physical appearance and age as Californians. And there are thousands and thousands of senior citizens in this country who are not baby boomers - for instance anyone over 68 years old. Also, there are many boomers who are far from yet being senior citizens.

Her comment was no different at all from your opening post. You described what you see in your area, and she's describing what she sees in her area. Neither can necessarily be a comment upon this large and diverse country.

And speaking of generalizing, just wow to your "All of America is not as obsessed with youth, physical appearance and age as Californians."

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

In NYC, I see them allover the place among a variety of other handbags!