Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are Dooney Really ""The"" Designer Bag?

To me, an "it" bag is a beautiful bag - simple, elegant, understated, with meticulous workmanship. No glaring logo, no un-needed extraneous features like tassels or chunky hardware. Like the Mona Lisa smile, you know it's good and you have to make no explanation. I like Lodis. I've never been disappointed with the quality and style of their bags. For the hippie crowd out there, Oberon Designs makes lovely hand-tooled, made in America pieces. Not to say I don't have a few "fun" bags, but of course it depends on what you're doing at the time. Dooney looks to me like it tries too hard to be noticed, but they are pretty. And the floral prints look fun.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

My favorite is Gucci
Honored Contributor

I don't understand this notion of "THE" designer. If anyone were "THE" designer, why would anyone have anything else?

Super Contributor

Here in the Midwest, we have an over abundance of fake LV, Gucci and Coach. The women here who are considered fashionistas carry Chanel, Marc Jacobs and Bottega Venetta. I never see Dooney or Burberry anymore, I'm not sure why. We have a small display of Dooney at our local downtown Macy's but that's the place I see them. From what I can observe, the so called "designer bag" is housed in a class case or separate shelving and are $1000 plus - this would not be D&B .
Valued Contributor

I think if the buyer loves a Dooney that's all that matters! I don't carry one brand of bag exclusively and don't buy bags much over $200-$300. That's even more than I care to spend on a bag..I shop the Von Maur clearance bags when I do buy...

Super Contributor

I also agree, buy what you love.
Honored Contributor

On 6/25/2014 tough_kitty said:
On 6/14/2014 stevieb said:

tufgirl, I like Minkoff too and a Balenciaga is worth waiting for...

Smile

Who?? What?? How do you discover those brands??? Lol

The only real designer bag I really liked was a saddle bag by Christian Dior so I found a knock-off on eBay and it's real leather Smiley Happy loved it for awhile until I decided I prefer a shoulder bag with a shorter strap so it's safer to carry....but I still love the bag. It's in my closet...just not sure when I'm going to carry it again....

Wink Hey TK... That was in response to post 39, by tufgirl. As for the brands, there are so many nice and I mean really nice brands out there that aren't quite as mass market as some of the brands we've all come to know so well... I've been a bag shopper for longer than I care to recall and you just come across these brands when out and about or when browsing on line... Rebecca Minkoff sells lovely bags, usually at 'nicer' department stores and boutiques, but you do sometimes find them at discount. Balenciaga is an old couture name going back to the same era as Chanel and before Dior, Givenchy, etc... Balenciaga bags are sold at very high end stores and and priced accordingly, along the lines of couture items.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Twenty years ago I bought a beautiful quilted cotton bag. It had a red and green pattern and reminded me of the patterns in a French fabric store on Newberry St. in Boston. It was a Vera Bradley and cost me $100. A lot of money then; I'd never heard of VB. I've never gotten so many compliments on a purse (actually on anything.) I wore it until the handles frayed and I started seeing them out and about. I'd bought it in a very fancy hospital gift shop. I bought another one for my mother to carry in her walker. That was it; the thrill was gone. I guess I don't care what the bag of the moment is. I now will always think of VB as potholder bags. Funny!

Right now I'm carrying an OrYany cotton coated tote and my other bags are just sitting. I'm getting lots of compliments on that. Very pretty.

When did purses become status symbols? My late aunt who died last year at the age of ninety five would go visit a Sharif bag in the store but wouldn't spend the money. And she spent money on clothes, shoes and jewelry. The best dressed woman I've ever known. I was shocked when she told me that but I guess her generation didn't see purses as a status symbol like ours. Sharif was different then.

terrier from Buffalo: I grew up in Buffalo and live in Boston. I went to visit my mother in Buffalo until she died eight years ago. The women in Buffalo are better dressed than in Boston. I couldn't tell you what the "it" bag is here because there isn't one. I saw a grey haired woman with a backpack purse today. I have to drive to Chestnut Hill to see well dressed women. They just opened a Wegman's there so I'll be venturing out there and maybe I'll figure out what the 'it' bag is.

I have a great T.J.Maxx. They have four hundred dollar purses there behind glass with chains anchoring them down. My mother, who loved purses, referred to it as the "purse store," as in,"Let's go to the "purse store."

Super Contributor

You should carry what you like. In handbags, quality is usually more expensive, but I have got some amazing bags at Ross or Marshall's for a fraction of their retail value ...they are usually last season's bags. Still the best bags are expensive even at the discount stores. The big stores don't carry just one bag, so those will go to the discount stores. if I want to buy a true designer bag like Gucci, I will go,to the Gucci online store, or a quality store like Saks. I have never bought a knock off. I don't carry bags for compliments, although I have received them occasionally for my Dooneys , Tosca Blue, or very expensive bags. Almost anyone can tell quality. Never got a compliment for a Tignanello or Oryany, and they are not cheap, just easy to find. Once a bag is on QVC you have to assume millions of women can get them. I love designer bags, just don't enjoy paying full price, but these days I'm more interested in sizing down my collection and keeping just a few really good bags. Going to stick to my Gucci and a couple,of Aimee Kestenberg's , maybe 1 Dooney or Oryany. There are times Imdon't want to carry a $2000 bag.
Super Contributor

You can get Minkoff along with Kors and some other exclusive designers at Last Call at Neimann Marcus. Saks sells Jimmy Choo , Gucci and other bags in the thousands. Lots of the exclusive design houses like Gucci have their own websites
On 7/8/2014 stevieb said:
On 6/25/2014 tough_kitty said:
On 6/14/2014 stevieb said:

tufgirl, I like Minkoff too and a Balenciaga is worth waiting for...

Smile

Who?? What?? How do you discover those brands??? Lol

The only real designer bag I really liked was a saddle bag by Christian Dior so I found a knock-off on eBay and it's real leather Smiley Happy loved it for awhile until I decided I prefer a shoulder bag with a shorter strap so it's safer to carry....but I still love the bag. It's in my closet...just not sure when I'm going to carry it again....

Wink Hey TK... That was in response to post 39, by tufgirl. As for the brands, there are so many nice and I mean really nice brands out there that aren't quite as mass market as some of the brands we've all come to know so well... I've been a bag shopper for longer than I care to recall and you just come across these brands when out and about or when browsing on line... Rebecca Minkoff sells lovely bags, usually at 'nicer' department stores and boutiques, but you do sometimes find them at discount. Balenciaga is an old couture name going back to the same era as Chanel and before Dior, Givenchy, etc... Balenciaga bags are sold at very high end stores and and priced accordingly, along the lines of couture items.