Contributor

Re: Are Dooney Really ""The"" Designer Bag?

Where I'm from, any designer bag is "the it bag", Kate, Tory, LV, Marc Jacobs, Kors, Lim, Burberry-take your pick. You will see ladies carrying everything. Coach, especially the signature C has over saturated the market, but the leather ones are still in.

Saying DB is the it bag to own is a QVC marketing ploy. It has always been a top tier bag of great quality but has failed to reach the status of Coach, which is its closest competitor.

Honored Contributor

Only if you like ""status symbols""

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I think that it depends on where a person lives as to whether its considered a "status" handbag. Here in LA, where I live, it isn't even on the radar as "status".

Honored Contributor

My everyday bag (to wear with jeans) is a navy D&B bag in the all weather leather. It is a well made bag and takes a lot of abuse. I live in the Pacific NW and see a lot of Kors, Jacobs, Fendi and LV up here. My favorite bags are Barr & Barr - I picked up a couple in New York a few years ago and love them. I have several different brands of bags I have picked up at Nordstroms and Neimans sales over the years.

Trusted Contributor

DiAnne, a few years ago I saw the Barr & Barr nylon bag and I bought it because it was on sale at HSN and I loved it because at the time, I was using it to put all of my work items in and I needed a sturdy nylon bag. I still have it and it still looks good too. I really wish I had bought another color before they sold out!!

Valued Contributor

On 6/19/2014 FlowershopGirl said:

I think that it depends on where a person lives as to whether its considered a "status" handbag. Here in LA, where I live, it isn't even on the radar as "status".

The same could be said in the Philadelphia area, this also includes Coach, MK, some Kate Spade,Fossil etc.

These type bags are considered mid-price point range that are a good value & worth the money for everyday wear----just nothing "status" about them.

LOL, & this is the truth, w/exception of a real deal LV or Burburry (I can spot those fakes in a second) I couldn't tell you the name brand/high end purse anyone is carrying.

Honored Contributor

On 6/19/2014 Sylanne said:
On 6/19/2014 FlowershopGirl said:

The same could be said in the Philadelphia area, this also includes Coach, MK, some Kate Spade,Fossil etc.

These type bags are considered mid-price point range that are a good value & worth the money for everyday wear----just nothing "status" about them.

LOL, & this is the truth, w/exception of a real deal LV or Burburry (I can spot those fakes in a second) I couldn't tell you the name brand/high end purse anyone is carrying.

I'm in BUFFALO, not exactly the fashion capital of the world - and even here Dooneys aren't considered "designer bags."

Honored Contributor

On 6/14/2014 MitzS said:

In my part of the ""world"" Michael Kors is the bag I see everywhere. I see coach too but lately too many MK bags. Dooney not at all!

Michael Kors is really popular here too!

I still like Dooney and Coach!

Honored Contributor

On 6/15/2014 Working Stiff said:

I work in NYC. I've noticed nothing but Michael Kors, Longchamp nylon tote bags and the Louis Vuitton "Neverfull" tote for the past few years.

I would consider all these top of the lone bags too.

Longchamps are great bags...my stylist has a daughter who works in fashion in NYC and she introduced me to that line.

Occasional Contributor

People who say they don't like Coach, because of all the "C's", really don't know Coach very well. Those could be very bad counterfeit bags.

They have awesome all leather bags. Visit a boutique in your mall.

Even the bags made for outlet, don't just have "c's" on them. They have some great styles/colors. And leather.

Actually go to an outlet....