Occasional Contributor

Re: Are Dooney Really ""The"" Designer Bag?

I work in NYC. I've noticed nothing but Michael Kors, Longchamp nylon tote bags and the Louis Vuitton "Neverfull" tote for the past few years.

Contributor

In my city I see very few Dooney bags. In terms of higher end bags Michael Kors is no. 1 followed by Coach and a few Louis Vuitton. I purchased a Dooney tote about 3-4 years ago. My sister carries that bag. As for me I have several Coach bags and I alternate with my LV. When I worked in retail , 20 years ago it was Dooney, Dooney, Dooney followed by Coach and then Gucci. Now, I hardly ever see Gucci in my hometown.

Respected Contributor

I have a great every day Dooney bag that I got at TJM for only $50, it was a $200 bag. I have larger all leather Coach bag, it's off-white with Navy Blue patent trim that was $300 that I only paid $100. I look for the style I need, then the price, then the name.

Respected Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Hayfield said:

I have a great every day Dooney bag that I got at TJM for only $50, it was a $200 bag. I have larger all leather Coach bag, it's off-white with Navy Blue patent trim that was $300 that I only paid $100. I look for the style I need, then the price, then the name.

Wow! You totally blew away my latest catch, a Janine sky blue bag for 99 on Ebay (w shipping.) I was pleased as punch, and it has the fob and mini bag. I usually find good Tignanellos at TJM but never a Dooney --but we only have a small TJM as we're in a small town.

Honored Contributor

Yes indeed. Actually every bag that has ever existed is a "designer" bag. Because no bag falls from the sky fully formed.....they were all "designed" by someone. That goes for clothing too. I always laugh when people talk about QVC's "designers". They are clothing vendors. Someone in their companies designs them and they are mass produced and sold on QVC. That makes them clothing vendors. I'm a big Dooney fan, love them and I have many but I do not think of Dooney as a "luxury" brand. Although the quality of a high end Dooney is just as good as those $2000 bags.

Honored Contributor

I think Dooney is a quality bag, although I only owned one years ago. You never read of dye transfers or other such problems with them. My issue is they don't make SHOULDER BAGS, true shoulder bags. No, I don't want that long convertible strap. I want a 9 to 11 inch drop shoulder bag, like B Mak.

Super Contributor

On 6/14/2014 lavenderjunkie said:
On 6/14/2014 maryebrown said:
On 6/14/2014 mollysmama said: Dooneys were THE aspirational bag to have as far back as 30 yrs that I can remember. They're worth every penny because they last. When I see a Coach purse NOW, it screams, 'I went on vacation somewhere near an outlet mall.' EVERYONE has a Coach now - nothing special about them - unless you buy a $400 LEATHER Coach from a Coach store. I will never understand the appeal of Vera Bradley. They remind me of potholders. Very expensive potholders.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh} Come to think of it, they do!

I have 3 Vera bags - Happy Snails, Poppy Fields, and Summer Cottage. I like the colors/prints of those and I can put them in the washer when they get dirty. I got them on sale (60% off) and they are perfect for the beach or when it's raining since they aren't leather.

Dooneys are my favorite bags and my next one will be an Alto in T Moro Brown.

Marebrown: If you are getting ready to purchase an Alto, call one of the Dooney outlets. They have many of the Alto styles, and they are now 50% off. I've ordered by phone from the Clinton CT outlet, the Reading PA outlet, and the Las Vegas outlet. All were great to deal with. Doesn't matter where you live, if the bag is available for shipment (not all are) the outlet will send it to you at the sale price (or if they don't have it in the store, will have it shipped from the warehouse). Just remember to ask them to check the handbag over carefully to be sure it's in great condition and the zippers are good. And ask what the return policy is just in case you have an issue. (Return policy will vary depending upon the type of sale and where the item is shipped from).

Try not to call on a weekend as they are very busy. I try to call first thing in the morning during the week. I've gotten great service. I just ordered an Alto from Clinton outlet. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Sorry I missed your post the other day -- Thanks so much for the info! My sister lives near Clinton CT, and I'll have to pay her a visit (and the outlet, too!) this Fall! {#emotions_dlg.devil2}{#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Looking forward to The RoadTrip...{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Trusted Contributor

I think Dooney is a nice, classic handbag with good construction and excellent leather and quality.

Around here, I see several designer names from LV, Prada, Minkoff, Gucci, Balenciaga, Chanel, etc. I like something substantial and solid and a bit plain so I like Ralph Lauren and Prada.

Regular Contributor

On 6/15/2014 Working Stiff said:

I work in NYC. I've noticed nothing but Michael Kors, Longchamp nylon tote bags and the Louis Vuitton "Neverfull" tote for the past few years.

I want a Neverfull. I'm afraid that by the time I can afford one, it will be Nevermore.
Contributor

Gonna have to visit my TJ Maxx store, I never seem to have any luck in there.

my fav bags are Brighton, followed by Coach, Tig, Fossil and Dooney. I will be visiting the outlets on my way home from Vegas next month, hope to score a MK or a Kate Spade bag.