Honored Contributor

Re: Are Dooney Really ""The"" Designer Bag?

On 7/9/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 7/9/2014 Nikalette said: Aimee Kestenberg is considered an "it" handbag designer...she is new, young, award winning,graduated from Parson. She has some very different designs. Her bags are in the $300 to $400 range at QVC, so not up with then Gucci's ...I think coming on QVC was a strategic move to get her name out, but once your bags are mass produced and the price dropped, it downgrades you as a designer. She went for the money instead of just selling in her website and exclusive stores. I noticed she is not designing new bags here, although she has new bags on her website, and I think she will disappear from the Q to maintain her bag's status. Dooney was considered a top designer bag 30 years ago. The price was actually the same...I paid $250 and $375 for my 2 classic Doonies. Once they came to the Q theychanged drastically and are now just a nice mass produced handbag. Coach is going downhill by selling at Macy's...they are expensive, but go on sale for a couple hundred. A real designer bag will sell in the thousands, like,Gucci. They have a few small items that sell for $800, bit the average price is $2k to $3k and their exotics,sell for up to $30k. They are stunning and designed for those who can afford them. I am waiting for my $2k bag to decide if it is worth it. I also,have my eye on a $3k bag that is fully lined in finished leather. The outside and inside are identical and gorgeous. That is a bag at will last for,the rest of my life, like my original pebble leather Doonies.

"...but once your bags are mass produced and the price dropped, it downgrades you as a designer."

Agree. Every other person is carrying a "Birkin" these days.

I think AK might have been on the cusp of being a minor 'it' designer, but didn't quite get there... To some extent she is (or maybe was) 'trending' but unless something changes it seems that might be about as far as it goes. I own own one of her bags and like it (don't love it), and along with selling here, I've also been seeing her bags at discount for quite a bit less. That wouldn't seem to be the makings of an 'it' bag or an 'it' designer...

As for everyone carrying a Birkin, like someone else said, maybe a knockoff, but I don't know many folks that own a Hermes version... I think the Birkin is still aspirational, but don't know that it's still considered an 'it' bag.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 7/15/2014 stevieb said:
On 7/9/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 7/9/2014 Nikalette said: Aimee Kestenberg is considered an "it" handbag designer...she is new, young, award winning,graduated from Parson. She has some very different designs. Her bags are in the $300 to $400 range at QVC, so not up with then Gucci's ...I think coming on QVC was a strategic move to get her name out, but once your bags are mass produced and the price dropped, it downgrades you as a designer. She went for the money instead of just selling in her website and exclusive stores. I noticed she is not designing new bags here, although she has new bags on her website, and I think she will disappear from the Q to maintain her bag's status. Dooney was considered a top designer bag 30 years ago. The price was actually the same...I paid $250 and $375 for my 2 classic Doonies. Once they came to the Q theychanged drastically and are now just a nice mass produced handbag. Coach is going downhill by selling at Macy's...they are expensive, but go on sale for a couple hundred. A real designer bag will sell in the thousands, like,Gucci. They have a few small items that sell for $800, bit the average price is $2k to $3k and their exotics,sell for up to $30k. They are stunning and designed for those who can afford them. I am waiting for my $2k bag to decide if it is worth it. I also,have my eye on a $3k bag that is fully lined in finished leather. The outside and inside are identical and gorgeous. That is a bag at will last for,the rest of my life, like my original pebble leather Doonies.

"...but once your bags are mass produced and the price dropped, it downgrades you as a designer."

Agree. Every other person is carrying a "Birkin" these days.

I think AK might have been on the cusp of being a minor 'it' designer, but didn't quite get there... To some extent she is (or maybe was) 'trending' but unless something changes it seems that might be about as far as it goes. I own own one of her bags and like it (don't love it), and along with selling here, I've also been seeing her bags at discount for quite a bit less. That wouldn't seem to be the makings of an 'it' bag or an 'it' designer...

As for everyone carrying a Birkin, like someone else said, maybe a knockoff, but I don't know many folks that own a Hermes version... I think the Birkin is still aspirational, but don't know that it's still considered an 'it' bag.

LOL...Kim Kardashian has one. Whether it was intended as a joke, don't know. But really even for some "B" celebs, Hermes is a little too steep. I just think Jane Birkin owns a Birkin bag.

Frequent Contributor

Dooney bags are classic and well made as are Coach (non-outlet) bags. The 'it' bag depends on where you live and how much you want to spend. But overall I would say that neither Donney or Coach are 'it' type of brands (except possibly among teens/tweens who covet a Coach wristlet) The 'it' bags are more like Michael Kors, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Tory Burch and once you get into higher price points, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Chanel, Celine. But since most can't afford those types of prices, Coach and Dooney are great bags, because of the quality and the way the will wear year after year.

Contributor

On 7/14/2014 luvtoshopathome said: I hardly see any Dooney bags being carried in the metropolitan area. I personally am not a Dooney fan and would never spend that kind of money on one. To tell you the truth I think they're on much too often just like B. Makowsky was. I see lots of Michael Kors, which I own and love, LV's, of course and Tory Burch. Love, love her leather bags.

Yeah, for mentioning Tory Burch! While in Las Vegas last week I purchased my first Marion Hobo in black from her beautifully elegant shop at Ceasar's. All her handbags were gorgeous and elegant from dressy to casual. The linings are lighter colored and pretty.

While in Las Vegas I recognized from the most; 1) Michael Kors, 2) Coach, 3) Tory Burch, 4) LV's new-to-old and dirty/ratty looking/fakes?, 5) Dooney a few, 6)Tignanello a few, 7) Vera Bradley but not carried by younger crowd.

Respected Contributor

On 6/14/2014 mollysmama said: Dooneys were THE aspirational bag to have as far back as 30 yrs that I can remember. They're worth every penny because they last. When I see a Coach purse NOW, it screams, 'I went on vacation somewhere near an outlet mall.' EVERYONE has a Coach now - nothing special about them - unless you buy a $400 LEATHER Coach from a Coach store. I will never understand the appeal of Vera Bradley. They remind me of potholders. Very expensive potholders.

LOL. They do look like potholders!!! I only own a Vera Bradley cosmetic case called the grand that I bought 2 years ago to go on my honeymoon cruise. It is great for that purpose. I am in school and I see some but not many students with VB totes. I think their appeal is the fact that they are very lightweight, washable and low key.

I don't think I would buy a VB bag but honestly I am slowly warming up to the idea. It just seems so simple to carry and just throw on; simple and not pretentious. In NYC there will always be a sector of the young population that goes for that low key boho look (ex. Urban Outfitters) especially at my university. What is really popular nowadays at colleges and universities are Longchamp nylon bags. I see like 10 or more a day.

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

I think the ""It"" bag is based on the individual. I own several different brands of handbags if I see a style or color that I like. I use to buy Coach back in the 80's because I loved their leather bags the colors and styles were limited back then but still the bags were classic and well made and not too many people were carrying them because they were expensive. I buy and love my Dooney bags for the same reason I love good leather handbags the color options and styles fit my lifestyle.

Super Contributor

On 7/15/2014 lcmel said:

Dooney bags are classic and well made as are Coach (non-outlet) bags. The 'it' bag depends on where you live and how much you want to spend. But overall I would say that neither Donney or Coach are 'it' type of brands (except possibly among teens/tweens who covet a Coach wristlet) The 'it' bags are more like Michael Kors, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Tory Burch and once you get into higher price points, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Chanel, Celine. But since most can't afford those types of prices, Coach and Dooney are great bags, because of the quality and the way the will wear year after year.

Exactly!! I love Dooney because I like the leather and many of the styles.

To me, Coach has lost it's appeal because of so many Coach Outlet stores and so many "invitation only" via emails where they sell mainly seconds and/or last years style. It's cheapened the line, especially the Signature line.....everybody has one!