Regular Contributor

Are Dooney Really "The" Designer Bag?

I see a lot of Dooney bags on QVC and in stores. But when I look at other woman, they are always carrying Coach or an other designer. It seems like in my state Coach is the designer I notice most often. Once in while I see a Burberry, but they are very expensive so I know that is why I don't see as many.

I myself have several names. Marc Jacobs, Tignanello, Dooney and Bourke, Coach, Vera Bradley, B. Makowsky, The Sak, and some Burberry. I never thought much about Dooney until QVC. I think some are too heavy, but I have quite a few that are not. Kate Spade is a big name here.

QVC hosts always say Dooney is "The" designer bag to own, that everyone wants one. Which bag do you girls find is most desired or is in your opinion. Just curious.Smile I forgot, I do see a lot of Vera Bradley bags, but not on younger woman.

Regular Contributor

Re: Are Dooney Really ""The"" Designer Bag?

Guess I posted this in the wrong place. Goofed

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Whether dooney is designer or or not, I don't care. I just like dooney bags. Not into Cosch because I can't stand the large C's all over their bags. Also, they're a dime a dozen. Seen one seen them all.
Honored Contributor

A lot of the Dooneys are too masculine and redundant. And what's with the child size handles on their purses?

NO ... they are NOT ""the"" bag ..... QVC only sells a lot of them because they offer 6 easy pays. You think people would buy those bags if they weren't on easy pay?

Contributor

In my part of the ""world"" Michael Kors is the bag I see everywhere. I see coach too but lately too many MK bags. Dooney not at all!

Super Contributor

Dooneys were THE aspirational bag to have as far back as 30 yrs that I can remember. They're worth every penny because they last. When I see a Coach purse NOW, it screams, 'I went on vacation somewhere near an outlet mall.' EVERYONE has a Coach now - nothing special about them - unless you buy a $400 LEATHER Coach from a Coach store. I will never understand the appeal of Vera Bradley. They remind me of potholders. Very expensive potholders.
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/14/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

A lot of the Dooneys are too masculine and redundant. And what's with the child size handles on their purses? {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

NO ... they are NOT "the" bag ..... QVC only sells a lot of them because they offer 6 easy pays. You think people would buy those bags if they weren't on easy pay? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Not a very intelligent statement. I rarely purchase dooneys from QVC. They're offered at a million different stores. I get mine on sale outside of qvc and I had no idea that men carry handbags. Very masculine, thanks for the laugh. I needed that. Enjoy your Saturday. There is life outside of QVC.
Super Contributor

Everyone has thei favorite brand. There is no one brand to top all others. I favor D&B because of style, durability, lux looks. I firmly believe that accessories make the " look" . Always add the right bag, shoes, jewelry etc to whatever I wear. Turns plain into gorgeous.
Honored Contributor

There is no "it" bag, as far as I can see. Dooney makes nice bags and they're a desirable brand, one among many. They do have a certain history and track record, but the hosts are pushing this brand, so of course they'll put it out there as the only "it" bag... Personally, I like Dooney bags and prefer them to many other 'nicer' brands, but don't limit myself to just one brand of handbag.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

There is a Purse Blog (purseblog.com) and a lot of discussion of which bag pleases whom. I like Dooneys. Never been a REALLY expensive bag person. I like bags that last and I used to use Coach for years, until they went to logo cloth. After than I didn't care for Coach, so for a while I just bought Tignanello but my first Dooney was a real success. I love it (a Janine bag bought here) and when I carry it, I get a LOT of compliments. I have a professional career and bag and shoes are really important but I hate spending megabucks and I tend to carry a fave bag so I don't own a closet full of them.

For me, Dooney's have a good look, last well and hold up but still have that expensive air.