Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone sell their Dooneys?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just post pics on a thread and sell to each other on here? I'm sure that's prohibited though. I agree...the yard sale and donating doesn't work for me either.
New Contributor

On 2/26/2015 chrystaltree said:

Contrary to what QVC tells us, Dooneys are not investment bags. They aren't "coveted" and they are not "aspirational" bags. They are just very nice, well made bags. The department stores often sell them on sale; so, it's not likely that a used bag would go for much money. Women don't dream about someday owning a Dooney. I have two that I want to part with; the first two I ever bought. I think I'll do better trading them in that I would by selling them.

I disagree. They are valued in the Twin Cities. I have sold my Dooneys around town at various consignment shops and Clothes Mentors and always get anywhere fron 40-75 dollars a piece for them. Not what I paid for originally, obviously, but you can't expect that. We have lots of Coach factory outlets up here and everyone and their mother owns a Coach factory bag. Dooneys are prettier, better made and show you have a little bit more of a fashion sense than just buying the mass-market Coach stuff.

Valued Contributor

I have only traded in Dooney bags or donated them. They will fetch nothing at a yard sale. I would try Ebay as long a you find out approximately how much it will cost to ship since many Dooneys are heavy. I find that on anything I buy on Ebay, I prefer free shipping.....obviously they have included shipping in the cost.

Occasional Contributor

I have had success selling my vintage Coach bags on tradesy dot com. It is very easy, just take good quality pictures, and be very honest about the condition of the bags.

Super Contributor

I gave many to charity. My husband used to give some of them to our neighbor to sell at a garage sale and they would split the profits (not much). I just gave my good friend about 8 of them to sell on ebay. Most were OLD- but hardly used from the early days of QVC, a couple were leather from the Dooney and Bourke website, one was the much loved QVC Dooney logo lock in natural (THAT NEVER stayed on my shoulder). I'm so relieved to be rid of them. They were out of style, and my handbag style has changed a lot. Hope they all find good homes. And my friend is going to use any proceeds from ebay for a girlfriend trip.

I hope you find a profitable way to get rid of them. It feels very nice to have less clutter to deal with.

Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 LisaB said:

ebay would be your best bet. Just take good picures and show all aspects of the bag and you will sell them.

Not anymore. Ebay used to be a great place to make some money selling your purses. I have a few Dooneys I'd love to get rid of. But if you look at what they are now going for now, its practically nothing. I'd be better off selling them at my annual garage sale. I wish I never bought these Dooneys.

"Pure Michigan"
New Contributor

I have sold many of my Dooney bags on Ebay and have done quite well. Do your research on what they are going for and also post the exact style name of the bag. Make sure they are in good condition, and if any are Florentine leather, condition the leather and get the scratches out, and you will do well.
Frequent Contributor

I have sold many used purses on eBay.. including Dooney and Bourke, Coach and Michael Kors, and I have done very well. If you do want to go that root.. sell on eBay, photos are key! Good luck

Frequent Contributor

I've been downsizing and clearing out, too. Here's what I've sold in the last few weeks on ebay.

Dooney medium toggle florentine, never used. I sold it for $95 with free shipping. I had to pay ebay fees, too.

Dooney florentine medium pocket satchel, navy, never used. $140, free shipping, and fees.

Kate Spade, Terrace Drive crossbody, never used - $89, free shipping, and fees.

I did post a lot of photos for each bag with thorough descriptions.

At a garage sale last year, I sold two Dooney pebble leather pocket sac bags for $40 each. They had been used, but only a few times. They really had no signs of use.

That's the end of my Dooney bags.

Valued Contributor

I sell here and there on ebay. I hadn't sold anything for awhile but then in the last year, I started up again. I mainly sell pieces from kits like Philosophy and I only sell new items (within 6 months old).

I've sold new pieces of D&B when I used to buy the TSV's on QVC years ago; the lobs or the change purses. I had my splurging of purses a few years ago but would buy another D&B if I liked any of the TSV's but lately, I don't. AND before they lowered the shipping, adding another $8-11 for Dooneys, no thanks!

The problem with ebay seems to be the fees have increased but thankfully insertion fees are free most days....it's the final value fee that adds up. AND then the Paypal fee. Plus I don't think as many sell on ebay like years ago since Craig's list came about.

But, at times, I have so many products that if I didn't sell them on ebay, I'd toss them so even though I don't make much on them these days, it's better than nothing!