Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone sell their Dooneys?

On 2/27/2015 Marzak said:
On 2/26/2015 chrystaltree said:

Contrary to what QVC tells us, Dooneys are not investment bags. They aren't "coveted" and they are not "aspirational" bags. They are just very nice, well made bags. The department stores often sell them on sale; so, it's not likely that a used bag would go for much money. Women don't dream about someday owning a Dooney. I have two that I want to part with; the first two I ever bought. I think I'll do better trading them in that I would by selling them.

I disagree. They are valued in the Twin Cities. I have sold my Dooneys around town at various consignment shops and Clothes Mentors and always get anywhere fron 40-75 dollars a piece for them. Not what I paid for originally, obviously, but you can't expect that. We have lots of Coach factory outlets up here and everyone and their mother owns a Coach factory bag. Dooneys are prettier, better made and show you have a little bit more of a fashion sense than just buying the mass-market Coach stuff.

Regular Contributor

Does anyone remember when COACH was a brand of Sears and Roebuck back in the 60""s?

Mom had a bag for $5.85! LOL!

Super Contributor

I just sold 14 Dooney bags. 12 were sold for $100 each and two were sold for $50 each. Posted pics of the front of the bag, the inside of the bag and the bottom. Also included pics of the accessories. The purchasers were thrilled to have them and I was happy to "purge" my closet!
Valued Contributor

I put up some of my barely used Dooneys and my Louis Vuitton Speedy 25 on Craig's List. Nobody was interested in any of the Dooneys but everyone was interested in my LV.
Respected Contributor

My LVs increased in value! Dooneys resell cheaper than Coach. I have been able to sell for between $50 and $150, depending on the bag. I sold on ebay. Please note that mine didn't have missing parts, loose stitching or smoke odors.

If you sell, protect yourself by not shipping to alternative addresses--unless they pay with a postal money order. Make them sign for the pieces so they can't use that as a ploy to grab your money. Also state it's a USED bag and that's reflected in the price. Note all flaws and show pictures.

That will keep you from silly women who want a refund if there's a pen mark! They want a brand new bag for 8 bucks and free shipping.

Super Contributor

I gift my bags. Why sell them for a few $$ when you can make someone happy by gifting them.

Super Contributor

Thanks to Terrior3 I just sold a bunch of my Dooney @ clothes mentor I made almost $200. I sold 2 medium chiara bags for $50 each 4 large slim wristlets $16. Each and a few more small bags. The lady said they were all in excellent shape. She said if you know the style of the bag it makes it easier to get a good amount for it as well as being in excellent condition.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

The best time to sell them is a month or so before Christmas.  Just put an ad in your local paper including Sunday's edition.   You'll get serious buyers that way.  

Super Contributor

Mine always do well on ebay, some really well, like early AWL.