Respected Contributor

Anyone have a hack for removing dried nail polish from sneakers?

The sneakers are white.  Haven't tried anything yet.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone have a hack for removing dried nail polish from sneakers?

It probably would depend on what material they are made of. 

Respected Contributor

They are white canvas.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Think I've read hair spray may do the trick. Try it on a little area first. Then wash as usual.

Hope my memory was correct and it works. Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ MontanaNail polish remover seems like one of the few things that will remove it but I would think it would cause the canvas to have a yellow stain that maybe bleach would take out.  This fix is not a guarantee though.  Hairspray probably won't do it but is good for ink stains.  I found this online:

Step 1

Place a small bit of acetone onto the corner of a sponge.

Step 2

Dab the sponge on a tiny area of your shoe that is not normally seen. You have to spot test your shoe before you attempt to clean it.

Step 3

Allow the acetone to dry – if the spot is not discolored, you can clean the other spot without fear.

Step 4

Apply acetone to the sponge and wipe it over the nail polish stain. Give it a few minutes to soak in.

Step 5

Remove the acetone and the nail polish with a clean cloth. Continue this process until the polish is completely removed.

Honored Contributor

@ Montana,  I would try a spot remover first.  I use SHOUT and read the directions and follow and all my spots come out.  However, it may be a different story with nail polish.  Have you tried nail polish remover with acetone?  Whatever method you use, wash in soapy water and rinse.  You can toss in the washing machine too.  Good luck.Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Hang on ...... Before appling anything to the sneaker,  try this.  Freeze it.  Place the sneaker in a plastic bag(to protect the food in the freezer), let it sit overnite.  take it out when you have time to "work" on it.  As soon as you get it out of the freezer, pick at it, you may be able to lift the whole stain.  and if you do HAVE to wash shoe, always wash both shoes and always, spin & rinse twice.