Honored Contributor

Re: Am I the Only One Turned Off by the Name 'Mephisto'? New QVC Shoe Line

My lands!  Hard to believe this thread is still going strong.  Something Mephistophelian going on, perhaps?  Tee hee.

Anyway, the good news is that this is a substantial shoe of quality.  My decision remains the same despite some slightly persuasive arguments here.

Honored Contributor

I hear the name and get Phantom Of The Opra!!!!!

Image result for phantom of the opera

Honored Contributor

LOL, ECBG!

Honored Contributor

I'm guessing the OP would never buy Dirt Devil vacuums, devil's food doughnuts, devil's claw herbs, disapproves of US Marines (their nickname is Devil Dogs), and the Dodge Demon and Demon insecticides to name a few.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Thank you so much, Sunshine 45, for letting us know how the name was settled upon.  I just don't want the founder to be in league with the devil.  See, I can't let it go!

One of the funniest things I've read on these forums. As if wearing the shoes would what result in the person being possessed? LMAO

@jaxs mom- Well, hey, I don't know...the ruby slippers got Dorothy home.  So you never know!  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Good grief.  Get over the name.  Life is short.  Chill.

Valued Contributor

Holy moly. These are my favorite shoes. They could be called Devil or Possessed or Demon or Lucifer and that would not negate their quality and comfort. They predate the musical and popularity of the Phantom and it's not the brand name that counts but the quality. 

Respected Contributor

Ha! The high school mascot here is "Demons". Love it actually. When my son was in HS he was involved in many sports throughout the whole year. I had specialized license plates with the name "DEMONS" on it.  Everyone in our city and conference knew that was our mascot. What I loved was driving where people didn't know the mascot....I frequently laughed about how many ways those on the road who read my plates interpreted them to mean. It was a "fun" license plate to have for me. I no longer have it bc my son is in college now. The plates were a good conversation piece when in public sometimes. LOL!!

Trusted Contributor

@golding76,

Mephisto is a German brand  and that explains the name however hell and comfort shoes is quite a non sequitur🌻Sociolinguistics deals with this cultural issues.