Honored Contributor

Re: Am I the Only One Turned Off by the Name 'Mephisto'? New QVC Shoe Line

As many have said, the brand has been around a good while.  I have several pair which are well made and comfortable.

Don't care so much for these particular styles however.

Personally I think there is much more going on to worry about avoiding than the brand name on some shoes. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Mephisto has been around since the 1960's and are in Dillard's. I've tried them on, but they do not have the fabulous toe bar that I love in my Birkenstocks! And their footbeds are bendable. Makes me wonder if they are really cork or simply cork outer soles as Sam, the Rep. from Mephisto stated. Stacy Stauffer claimed they were cork footbeds. Have put in a Q&A about my footbed question.  Have always wondered about the support of a footbed that is easily manipulated. How does it feel on rocks? Or on a 10K walk? I want a quality, good arch support and support throughout the entire footbed. I know Birkenstock's give me the support needed in any given situation. I've worn them for 55-60 years! 

BTW: Have you noticed Birkenstock's now have lovely pastel colors with soft footbeds (haven't tried them), shoes (I do plan to order their Mary Jane style for winter) and wedge sandals (no, haven't worn any type of heel since retiring). Check out the new colors and styles at: www.birkenstock.com

Stacy Stauffer broke Rule #1 of Sales 101 during the initial show of Mephisto. She actually spoke negatively about Mephisto's competitor, aka Birkenstock, at length and on two different shoes. Not a good way to introduce a new product line to QVC. It was uncomfortable to watch - and I did not order for that reason. Am delighted to see this line of QVC, but not with Stacy Stauffer as the host. SMH

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@golding76  No you are not the only one.  I looked at the lineup for this shoe and first thought, gee, all of these shoes/sandals look the same with the straps.

Then I looked to see the prices.  HOLY COW are these expensive!!!!!!  For all this brand is which isn't much, the prices are screaming outrageously WAY OVER THE TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

The name does not bother me at all.  They have great,last forever shoes.  My 2 cents.

Honored Contributor

Mephisto shoes are not knockoffs, they are very nice shoes.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

The name of the shoe brand doesn't bother me. I never gave it much thought when I've seen this line of shoes in a store. I think that this line of shoes is fairly ugly though and don't own any.

Esteemed Contributor

In Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical "Cats", there is a cat called "Mr. Mistoffelees".

Should that musical have been "boycotted" simply because the cat had a "evil" name?

Pfft!

misto15.jpg

"You ought to ask Mr. Mistoffelees
The original conjuring cat
The greatest magicians have something to learn
From Mr. Mistoffelees's conjuring turn, presto

And you'll all say
"Oh, well I never, was there ever
A cat so clever as magical
Mr. Mistoffelees"

Mr. Mistoffelees"

He is quiet and small, he is black
From the ears to the tip of his tail
He can creep through the tiniest crack
He can walk on the narrowest rail

He can pick any card from a pack
He is equally cunning with dice
He is always decieving you into believing
That he's only hunting for mice

He can play any trick with a cork
Or a spoon and a bit of fish paste
If you look for a knife or a fork
And you think it was merely misplaced

You have seen it one moment
And then it is gone
But you find it next week
Lying out on the lawn

And you'll all say
Mr. Mistoffelees"

Mr. Mistoffelees"

His manner is vague and aloof
You would think there was nobody shyer
But his voice has been heard on the roof
When he was curled up by the fire

And he's sometimes been heard by the fire
When he was about on the roof
At least we all heard that somebody purred
Which is uncontestable proof

Of his singular magical powers
And I've known the family to call
Him in from the garden for hours
When he was asleep in the hall

And not long ago
This phenomenal cat
Produced seven kittens
Right out of a hat

And we'll all say
Mr. Mistoffelees"

Mr. Mistoffelees"

Mr. Mistoffelees"

Mr. Mistoffelees"

Mr. Mistoffelees"

Mr. Mistoffelees"

Ladies and gentlemen
I give you the marvelous
Magical Mr. Mistoffelees, presto

Honored Contributor

Next we'll be getting all skeevy about deviled eggs. Sheesh.

And yes, the brand is well-known and has an excellent reputation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

I am not turned off by the name of this brand. It takes more than a name to stifle my purchases. I bought one pair of Mephistos and liked them. However, I prefer the comfort of Naots and are slightly less expensive. 

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Mephisto has been around since the 1960's and are in Dillard's. I've tried them on, but they do not have the fabulous toe bar that I love in my Birkenstocks! And their footbeds are bendable. Makes me wonder if they are really cork or simply cork outer soles as Sam, the Rep. from Mephisto stated. Stacy Stauffer claimed they were cork footbeds. Have put in a Q&A about my footbed question.  Have always wondered about the support of a footbed that is easily manipulated. How does it feel on rocks? Or on a 10K walk? I want a quality, good arch support and support throughout the entire footbed. I know Birkenstock's give me the support needed in any given situation. I've worn them for 55-60 years! 

BTW: Have you noticed Birkenstock's now have lovely pastel colors with soft footbeds (haven't tried them), shoes (I do plan to order their Mary Jane style for winter) and wedge sandals (no, haven't worn any type of heel since retiring). Check out the new colors and styles at: www.birkenstock.com

Stacy Stauffer broke Rule #1 of Sales 101 during the initial show of Mephisto. She actually spoke negatively about Mephisto's competitor, aka Birkenstock, at length and on two different shoes. Not a good way to introduce a new product line to QVC. It was uncomfortable to watch - and I did not order for that reason. Am delighted to see this line of QVC, but not with Stacy Stauffer as the host. SMH

@BirkiLady I have two pair of Birki Tahiti sandals that are the soft foot bed.  One squeaks loudly the other doesn't. The pair that squeaks is silver metallic, the other is red, but were the same shoe. Just in case you try it one day. It didn't squeak until I owned it over a year, unfortunately.