Valued Contributor

Advice for shoes or boots for the snow

My cousin and I are making a once in a life-time trip to German Christmas markets in December.  I live in Southern California and need advice to purchase a good walking shoe or short boot with arch support that will be good in ice, snow or rain.  I tried the Madison by Propet but it has no arch support so has to go back.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice for shoes or boots for the snow

It would probably be easier to buy arch supports and insert them into a boot than to try to find a boot with an arch support, which are few and far between.  The only one I recall seeing recently is on the Alegria website, alegria.com.  These a very comfortable shoes that also make short boots.  I believe QVC also carries an Alegria boot.

Vionic has arch support inserts that may be available at QVC or elsewhere online.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

You can try any good sporting goods store and look for a waterproof shoe.  Merrell and Keen make good shoes.  A Gore Tex shoe is a very good shoe which is waterproof breathable.  You could also look at something like Clark's muckers which are have a rubberized sole, are waterproof and either zip or lace up.  I don't think Clarks are breathable and the pair I have are heavier than the Gore Tex.  Merrell and Keen have Gore Tex shoes.

Good luck and have a great trip!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

La Canadienne makes beautiful boots that are snow-worthy. Sometimes Sierra Trading Post has good deals on the brand. Aquatalia is also an upscale brand that you can find there at reduced prices. I wear their boots all through the winter here in upstate New York.

Honored Contributor

I'm from So. Calif and moved to ultra-winter country!  I tossed my little fashion boots with the faux fur and invested in a pair of Merrel DECORA CHANTS.  They cost me $189, but I swear by them!  They keep your feet warm and dry and are kind cute without being huge snow boots.  I was SO happy with them (we got to -17 last winter) that I went out and bought a second pair at full price~!

But I've seen them around this year in broken sizes and lower prices.... like:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/merrell-decora-chant-winter-boots-waterproof-insulated-for-women~p~...

But I highly, highly recommend Merrell's snow boots with their special lining and gorgeous styling no matter which style you decide to get!  Just make sure you read the product description to make sure they meet certain cold weather requirements.

Good luck~!! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

There are many water proof/resistant snow boots but almost none have arch supports.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, Wobin!

I did the German Christmas Market Tour last year and also struggled with what shoe or boot to take.  I Settled on the Earth Origins low boot I believe is called Paris.  It is suede and leather with a lug sole.  They were the only shoe I took in black.  THEY WERE WONDERFUL!   I have bad feet and I was worried but I couldn't have been happier.  We had walking tours every morning for an average of 3 hours.  We toured on our own all afternoon.  Up and down cobblestone streets, up and down steps of monuments and Churchs, etc..... I did not have one problem.  I wore a heavy pair of smart wool socks with them and my feet were dry and warm.  They also looked decent under a pair of dark dress slacks for nighttime activities.  Were also good for running through those European airports.  Recommend highly.  This shoe had a pretty good arch support, too.  We were in every type of weather as well.

Honored Contributor

@Wobin

I think you were given great suggestions here.  And I think the suggestion of buying an insole or arch spport is a good one.  

I also want to say congrats on getting to go on this wonderful trip!!  I have always wanted to do this as I have family who are from Germany and they have told me many lovely things about the Christmas markets!!  I hope and know that you will have a fabulous time!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Based on a couple of your recommendations I ordered this yesterday:  http://www.zappos.com/merrell-polarand-rove-moc-waterproof-granite.

It arrived today and might work.  I wore it around the house this evening and it was certainly warm and has some arch support.  I'll do a bit more searching online and perhaps at REI to be certain.  Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement about the trip.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We did the Christmas Markets of Germany, Switzerland and Austria the first week of December, 2013.  It was cold but not bitter cold.  We had some snow in Austria and Switzerland but not a lot.  I wore Cole Haan Air Tali Rainboots as opposed to snow boots.  There were some ladies in snow boots and they complained a lot about how heavy they were.  I wore heavier socks on colder days.  My feet were always dry and warm.

My sister wore UGGS (without socks) and she was fine.

We loved the Markets!  Have fun.