Honored Contributor

Re: A254211 $699.00 Pathetic

I think the Q is placing too much confidence in Jill M. to save the GILI brand. The prices on their handbags were too high to begin with. By now raising their prices so blatantly, they are insulting us-- their customer base-- and shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Super Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Amazinggrace2 said:
On 3/28/2015 Reever said: I find very nice bags at Kohls for well under $100 ... Is QVC trying to fool us that spending hundreds of dollars more for a bag means it's better? I'm sure it's still coming off the same boats from China.

I love Kohls, and we have a Nordstom's outlet here called 'The Rack' which offers high end bags as a very reduced price.

You can find the same great buys at Hautelook/Nordstrom Rack online. For example, if you are willing to wait till the end of the season, almost every Oryany bag featured on the Q shows up there for at least 50% off.

You can find real designer bags on sale if you shop around, so why on earth would someone be inclined to buy a no name brand for more. Just don't get the train of thought here.

It's not like Jill Martin is Diane Von Furstenberg or someone with equal designer clout.

The Milano Hobo that they are now selling for $220 can be found NWT on Ebay for under $100 easily.

So who's buying this stuff now? Are there any GILI customers willing to pay these new prices?

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Krissie2 said:
On 3/28/2015 Reever said: I find very nice bags at Kohls for well under $100 ... Is QVC trying to fool us that spending hundreds of dollars more for a bag means it's better? I'm sure it's still coming off the same boats from China.

I love Kohls, and we have a Nordstom's outlet here called 'The Rack' which offers high end bags as a very reduced price.

You can find the same great buys at Hautelook/Nordstrom Rack online. For example, if you are willing to wait till the end of the season, almost every Oryany bag featured on the Q shows up there for at least 50% off.

You can find real designer bags on sale if you shop around, so why on earth would someone be inclined to buy a no name brand for more. Just don't get the train of thought here.

It's not like Jill Martin is Diane Von Furstenberg or someone with equal designer clout.

The Milano Hobo that they are now selling for $220 can be found NWT on Ebay for under $100 easily.

So who's buying this stuff now? Are there any GILI customers willing to pay these new prices?

Krissie-I think they raised the pricing just as JM was to appear for her debut show, counting on sales of the inflated priced items to new, unsuspecting customers that JM is bringing to Q. They know the current knowledgeable Q customer won't buy at these prices and they seem to retain inventory for years. So they are prob hoping to sell as much as possible at inflated rates, then maybe anything left will be sold at the regular price or their version of "clearance" in a year or two. What a joke!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Chi-town girl said:

Krissie-I think they raised the pricing just as JM was to appear for her debut show, counting on sales of the inflated priced items to new, unsuspecting customers that JM is bringing to Q. They know the current knowledgeable Q customer won't buy at these prices and they seem to retain inventory for years. So they are prob hoping to sell as much as possible at inflated rates, then maybe anything left will be sold at the regular price or their version of "clearance" in a year or two. What a joke!

Wow, then that would be a really leaping assumption on the part of the Q, you know, that JM is actually bringing viewers with her... I sort of don't think so...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

On 3/28/2015 stevieb said:
On 3/28/2015 Chi-town girl said:

Wow, then that would be a really leaping assumption on the part of the Q, you know, that JM is actually bringing viewers with her... I sort of don't think so...

Perhaps I don't know enough about JM, but she didn't strike me as someone who is bringing a huge fan base of her own willing to spend that kind of money. Of course, I could be wrong, because everything they showed sold out. Oh, wait....except for the TSV, nothing sold out.

Super Contributor

I don't know anything about designer bags. Whose $3K bag is this supposed to be a knock-off, of?

Super Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Clover29 said:

I don't know anything about designer bags. Whose $3K bag is this supposed to be a knock-off, of?

The Gucci Soft Stirrup Hobo. If you google it you will see images to compare.

Super Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Clover29 said:

The Gucci Soft Stirrup Hobo. If you google it you will see images to compare.

Take note that the Gucci bag doesn't have a tassel the size of a horse's tail. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 kahootz said:

What confuses me is this GILI handbag (A252216) that's now selling for $754!!! It started out at $577, then after Lisa left I think it was priced around $699. The price just keeps going up, I just don't get it! Do they think that since Lisa left these things will become more desirable and so they raise the prices?gili

That's exactly why I said that I think they believe they are promoting "exclusivity" by raising the prices. That's what LV and Hermes do. In (around) 2006 LV raised their prices (by a couple hundred dollars) about four times in one year!~ While LV and Hermes can get away with that in order to only entice the very rich to buy because it shows that only they have that kind of disposable income. But a Shopping Channel's own brand?? No. Especially when there are serious problems with the Shopping Channel's brand.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

It defies logic.

It's a no-name house brand, and has no resale value.

Go onto eBay and see the prices they are commanding for 'used' Prada, Gucci, Chanel. Even Donna Karen, Marc Jacobs and Dooney have pedigree. These are timeless and well constructed.

If the Gili customer wants a trending bag, do they really want to spend over $700 for an over-sized tassel? They could do so much better.

I don't mean to disparage Gili lovers. But please know that the value of the bag does not warrant a nearly 50% markup in a few months. Spend wisely.

I sell on eBay and just for fun I searched GILI because I know that sellers will buy QVC pallets of merchandise and this brand must be on some of those pallets. Not many for sale and the prices are low, except for those sellers who hope they'll get close to retail for it.

You're right, I don't see much retail value unless you are a Q shopper and love the brand. But I don't see it going National.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*