Trusted Contributor

Re: the best banana cake recipe

Just made this. Oh wow, is it a keeper. Didn't have room to freeze it. Don't know how it could get any better. Doesn't need icing, to me. I also cut out half a cup of sugar just to see how it would do. It's plenty sweet, imo. Thanks so much for the recipe, @wagirl.

Honored Contributor

@Renata22---Good to hear you liked it ! Yes I cut down on the sugar too. And then I just made 1/2 recipe so if it was awful, I wouldn't throwing away as much. Didn't frost mine either altho had some choc frosting already; even put some almond butter on top that was yummy too. My SIL made  a carrot cake that looked very much like this recipe--was delicious, but came from another person. 

Contributor

I second the vote for this delicious cake! I discovered the recipe last year, and it is the best! I usually top it with cream cheese frosting. Do give it a try! ❤
Contributor

Freezing right after baking prohibits the moistness (steam) from evaporating during the cooling process. P.S. In answer to the concerns anout lowering the freezer temp with this method, I don't keep meats in my kitchen side-by-side, only in my upright freezer. I keep miscellaneous bits, ice packs, and ice cubes in my side-by-side, which is where I cool my cake. But I agree, it is something to consider. The cooler is a good idea. You just don't want all the moisture to escape your cake.
Trusted Contributor

@wagirl That almond butter top sounds delish! I told my son about this cake and he said I would definitely have to make this at holiday time. I suggested peanut butter frosting (he's a pb nut) and he was drooling. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Renata22---don't wait to make this cake and OMG--peanutbutter frosting sounds amazing too !!!

Honored Contributor

I use Antonella's banana cake recipe.  Its on here somewhere, don't remember where hosts list their recipes.  I don't even put hot soup into the frig, much less the freezer.  Better to risk the loss of one item than a bunch of them.  They say you can cool dinner items up to two hours before refrigerating, but it shouldn't take that long for most items to come down to room temperature.