Respected Contributor

Stopped by this thread  for a few minutes today, haven't read everything, but saw some mention of the Big Green Egg.   Hey............don't sell this contraption short.  We have enjoyed many a fabulous prime rib roast cooked by my son (who lives here in  the same  zip code where we just moved)  on that grill/smoker.  Last week,  he fixed a delicious hunk of prime rib and a slab of Alaskan salmon, so we had a superb surf and turf meal.  I've gotten to the point where I wouldn't dare try to cook for my son and daughter-in-law as long as he does the cooking on the Egg.

Funny aside story (but no so funny to my DH)........our movers mistakenly left behind my husband's beloved and fiercely protected Weber charcoal grill, complete with mobile cart and accessories.   I had helped him clean it and wrap it all around in heavy-duty plastic for the movers to take with them from our garage. 

We called in a panic when we finally closed up the house, got ready for a road trip to Georgia and saw the grill still sitting  in our garage.  Long story short.........this grill supposedly was picked up by the movers  the next day (with help from our house purchaser to unlock the garage door, so they could  get in).  We have been told the grill is being stored  in the moving company's warehouse, and the next time they have a truck headed to our area of the country, they will deliver the grill.

We are told now to expect the grill tomorrow, Dec. 8--(they've had it since late October)..  I hope the grill arrives......my husband has gone nuts looking at good steaks in the local grocery stores and is constantly griping about his missing grill and its replacement cost of $400.  LOL!!

Respected Contributor

I didn't see the thread mentioning it, but IMO the Egg is second to none as far as versatility.    It holds it's heat no matter how cold it is outside.    I've cooked in -5 weather.

There is however a learning curve before you think that way.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I remember my dad having those when I was a kid growing up. He had an orange one & a green one. He called it a Habachi Smoker. I don't remember either having a stand or legs it just set on the ground. He said he paid next to nothing for them. That was back in the 60's & 70's. 

Honored Contributor

I so covet the Max Mini:

Valued Contributor

Ours is actually a Kamudo, the largest they make. Ours is oval.  Smokes just like the big green egg. It was given to my son for installing some granite and I honestly don't know how we ever lived without it. It smokes up some really fantastic food. Try it you will be hooked.

Beckyblu

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I so covet the Max Mini:

That's cute.   We have a large, but I wouldn't mind an extra large as well.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*