Honored Contributor

Re: store bought chicken fried

I would never purchase for two reasons:  ethics and health.

Honored Contributor

We never buy fried chicken.  I make my own about twice a year.  My DH, my adult kids  and their children and my older sister all show up to eat. I make enough for a small army...all pan fried. 

I used to make it more often, but because I can't eat it and it's not the healthiest choice, I cut back.

I serve it with mashed potatoes and gravy and corn.

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely buy fried chicken from my local grocers! I buy it maybe once a month, so it's not like we indulge all the time. We like it from our favorite grocer's deli and I'll also buy it from Walmart if the time stamp indicates it's fresh within the last hour - and yes, it's very good. I'm for convenience when I don't feel like cooking!

Esteemed Contributor

I only buy Costco's Rotisserie Chicken -- yummy and only $5. Many, many years ago, KFC was very good --- but it went downhill when the company was sold.

Honored Contributor

One reason I like KFC is that it tastes exactly like it always has.  Love the original recipe.  I did recently get one of their pot pies and was disgusted to discover they've shrunk and are scarcely larger than a cupcake so that's the end of that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

we have convenience stores called ROYAL FARMS.....they have excellent fried chicken.

Food & Wine magazine named Royal Farms' fried chicken one of the 10 gas station foods that are worth the detour.

if you are driving through maryland, delaware, pennsylvania, virginia, and new jersey i highly recommend stopping and getting a piece. my faves are breasts and wings.

i do also enjoy KFC and POPEYES.

sometimes you just gotta have a piece of FRIED CHICKEN!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't eat greasy fried chicken - KFC or Popeyes - or geasy, fried fish and chips - SO UNHEALTHY, and full of fat and sodium. The smell of both is nauseating.

Valued Contributor

i honestly didn't know until reading this post that food stores sold fried chicken. i haven't seen it. wow! i learn something new all the time (smile)

i have seen rotisserie chicken, but haven't tried that. back in the day (20+ years), i bought some extra crispy kfc. i only liked the skin. the meat didn't have any flavor.

i like cooking my own fried chicken either the old school way in a cast iron frying pan with peanut oil or in the air fryer. i like to brine it over night, then cook it the next day.

i guess because i learned how to cook from my grandmother, that grew up and lived in the south and my mother, i didn't acquire the taste for fast food, never mind not knowing how it's prepared and or cooked.

i know many people won't cook fried chicken at home because they say it's really messy.my grandmother used really large, deep bowls (like a 6 quart stock pot size, just stainless steel) one for the flour, one for the butter milk and one for bread crumbs and seasoning. no mess, but it does take some practice, i guess.

often, she would cut to the chase and brine the chicken in the butter milk

Honored Contributor

I get Costco rotiessrie chicken (got one today) often.  I save the carcases to make chicken stock.  

The only fried chicken I purchase is Chicken Karaage (Japanese boneless fried chicken).  It comes with rice and is tossed in a delicious sauce.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The KFC franchises in my area are all terrible; they never have enough chicken on hand, they overcook it, they always mess up orders, and the prices are really high for what you get, so last year we gave up on even trying to patronize them. Around the same time, we took a chance on the fried chicken made by a local grocery store chain (Harmon's) and absolutely love it! The chicken is always crunchy on the outside (though not as much as the extra crispy skin that kept us putting up with KFC for so long) and juicy on the inside, and both the skin and meat are nicely seasoned. The deli area will make batches fresh on demand, or you can get containers made earlier in the day from the convenience section and reheat a meal at home. We've been picking it up every few months now, and it always turns out great.