Honored Contributor

Re: spices, where do you keep yours?

@denisemb wrote:

I have two of these in a dark corner in the kitchen for the most used:

image.png

and a small plastic stair-step type inside the cupboard, along with a Penzey's 9-slot box holding 1/4 cup jars.

Eeks, now I'm embarassed by so many spices!

@denisemb   I know right where I could keep that.  Thank you!!! That is what could work for me.  Whew!!!  Coooooooooool.  Makes me happy.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal 

What I also like is that while the first rack was hung on the wall, I found that it had a flat bottom.  So the second I merely propped against the wall on the countertop.  No drilling required.

Denise
Super Contributor

I have a french country spice 'rack' that my son made for me when he took a woods class in 8th grade.(he's 54 now)  I love it & have used it all these years!  It holds 9 spice jars that I labeled & each one has a cork lid.  I keep my cooking spices in the jars right next to my stove so it's nice & handy.  Plus great memories...

Respected Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

Mine are kept in the smaller (half size) cabinet above my stove & vent).  I keep them in a small plastic crate so I can pull it out and get the ones that I need fairly easily.  I have so many herbs/spices that about a half dozen or so are freestanding right beside my little plastic crate.

@shoptilyadropagain you have given me a good idea. I am going to move mine to that same cabinet. My only problem is I am short and will have to get the stool when I need to get in there. That's ok I can deal with it.

Honored Contributor

I keep everyday spices and staples in spice cabinet.  I keep others in my pantry.

I bought the LNL spice containers but they only have pour not "shake" style.  Too expensive to pay return shipping so I'll use some.

AA88C6B9-D17A-439D-9C74-1B3F4A18EDBB.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

In a basket, in ABC order, in the pantry.

I do mine in ABC order too, but I have a spice cabinet on the wall. The overflow goes into one kitchen cabinet (I probably don't need as many as I have, but if a recipe calls for it I will try to get it). 

My mom gave everyone this spice cabinet as a wedding present when I was young. She bought one for me and kept it, and gave it to me as a shower gift. I transfer my spices to the original McCormick glass containers she used. It seems strange to see them stamped with 34c (the cent sign) sometimes! Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

Mine are kept in the smaller (half size) cabinet above my stove & vent).  I keep them in a small plastic crate so I can pull it out and get the ones that I need fairly easily.  I have so many herbs/spices that about a half dozen or so are freestanding right beside my little plastic crate.

@shoptilyadropagain you have given me a good idea. I am going to move mine to that same cabinet. My only problem is I am short and will have to get the stool when I need to get in there. That's ok I can deal with it.

@panda1234   Too funny....you took my idea and I took @AnikaBrodie 's idea and purchased the Spicey Shelf that she mentioned above.  I only use two levels and it wouldn't fit in my half cabinet over the stove becuase a large vent runs through the middle of it (that I had forgotten about).  So, I had to do some rearranging and put it on the bottom shelf of the cabinet right beside my stove.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@panda1234   Too funny....you took my idea and I took @AnikaBrodie 's idea and purchased the Spicey Shelf that she mentioned above.  I only use two levels and it wouldn't fit in my half cabinet over the stove becuase a large vent runs through the middle of it (that I had forgotten about).  So, I had to do some rearranging and put it on the bottom shelf of the cabinet right beside my stove.  

@shoptilyadropagain   @panda1234 

You will notice that the Spicey Shelf has some open space in front of the spices.  I use that area to store large containers of salt, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and other tall or bulky items.  It works for me so I share the idea with you.  Your rearrangement sounds great and will be a convenient spot for all your spices. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@panda1234 wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain   @panda1234 

You will notice that the Spicey Shelf has some open space in front of the spices.  I use that area to store large containers of salt, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and other tall or bulky items.  It works for me so I share the idea with you.  Your rearrangement sounds great and will be a convenient spot for all your spices. 

@AnikaBrodie   That's a great idea....especially my large container of Sea Salt.  I did put my two measuring cups there along with some various Dip,  Taco  etc. packets.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

I store mine in a refrigerator.  I think it keeps them fresher longer.