Contributor

I am making some Guinness pot pies for a dinner and am looking for some suggestions for sides. Since there are already potatoes and carrots in the dish I am not sire what to do other that a salad and rolls. Would appreciate any ideas you may have.  Thank you

Trusted Contributor

apple salad, fruit, cranberries and orange salad, green beans, asparagus hth

Esteemed Contributor

Salad & rolls/ butter. Don't overthink it.

Valued Contributor

We love chopped Spinach with pot pies.  I add butter and some garlic salt, and a little Lawrly's season.  Delish!

Honored Contributor

@magnus  I agree, nothing wrong with salad and rolls. If you want you could make a nice dessert to finish off the meal.

Respected Contributor

@magnus   Your pies sound delicious.  How about fresh or frozen green beans with pearl onions or sauteed mushrooms?  But a nice tossed salad and hot buttered rolls or brown bread sound good, too.

I have an Italian style chuck roast in tomato sauce simmering on the stove right now for tonight's dinner, with sauteed spinach and garlic bread as my sides.

aroc3435

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the input.  Aron. The Italian roast sound delish, mind sharing recipe and directions?  Thanks

Respected Contributor

@magnus   Sure can.  Here it is:

Italian Sauce Chuck Roast

Take a 2 and 1/2 to 3 lb. chuck roast.  Season well with ground black pepper and kosher salt on both sides.

Heat a sturdy cast enamel Dutch oven or covered deep skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and sear the chuck well on both sides.  Set to one side.

Add 1/2 lb. or more of fresh mushrooms to the drippings and saute and set aside.  Do the same with one onion, diced, and 5 or 6 cloves of smashed garlic.

Return the roast to the pan and cover with enough jarred tomato sauce (I used Ragu traditional today) to almost cover and then add 2 Tbsp. oregano, 2 Tbsp. rosemary, 1 Tsp. garlic powder, 1 Tbsp. summer savory, a dash of white pepper, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup of beef stock, 1/2 to 1 cup of good red wine, a squeeze of anchovy paste (optional) and some freshly chopped or dried parsley.

Bring up to high heat then cover and simmer on very low for 3 to 4 hrs.

Remove meat to a platter, place sauce in the freezer for a few minutes to skim off fat, then reheat sauce to serve with the beef, which should be fall apart tender.

aroc3435

Frequent Contributor

Magnus: Could you please post recipe for pot pies - sounds delicious.

Respected Contributor

How about coleslaw?