Frequent Contributor

My gram would make it with shoestring redbeets from a can,  diced potatoes it was a hot not cold soup... add some sour cream at the end of cooking it might be polish lithuanian recipe..can anybody have any idea.  I am from the Coal Region of PA

Searched the web pinterest so hungry for it...thanks

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

We also have and LOVE a Polish recipe for summer cold borscht soup-  Its so easy, 1 container borscht, 1cup of buttermilk (or to taste), add sliced cucumber, and sliced boiled eggs. It is sooooo refreshing and satisfying on a hot day.  Totally love it!  Thanks for the thread! 

Respected Contributor

That’s Borscht. Its common on Polish, Lithunian, Russian and other tables of Eastern Europe. My Grandma was from Poland and often made Czarnina, soup made from ducks blood. I remember going to the corner butcher in the city to get the ducks blood fresh and we had to hurry home before it coagulated. I know, I know sounds creepy but boy was that soup good. She made homemade egg noddles and that soup too was topped with sour cream. All those good old recipes that no one cooks anymore...not so healthy and keeps you in the kitchen all day

Honored Contributor

My grandparents used to eat borscht often. As eastern European Jews ( Lithuania) I remember being fascinated watching my grandfather mix sour cream into the dark red borscht.  It would turn bright fuchsia!

Respected Contributor

@bmorechick   Borscht?  ... Okay.  Soup from duck's blood?  Not so much!  

I love beets, but I wasn't ever a fan of borscht.

Respected Contributor

Ha ha ha @ItsME... Yeah sounds gruesome but I'm telling you it was good. Both sets of my grandparents came from Europe where traditions were so different back then and they brought them to America  when they came. Oh the stories I could tell as I am sure many of us could!  

Respected Contributor

Look up borscht soup.

Respected Contributor

I am in the NYC metro area and you can buy jars of borscht.  Gold's and Manishevitz are the brands that I recall.  They are ok but not as full flavored as homemade.  My mother used to make borscht with fresh beets.  I think she boiled them, then grated them.  

Honored Contributor

Re: red beet soup

[ Edited ]

1 1/2 cups peeled and thin-sliced red potatoes

1 cup peeled and thin-sliced beets

4 cups water

2 tbsp butter

1 1/2 cups chopped onions

2 tsp salt

1 stalk chopped celery

1 large sliced carrot

3 cups coarse-chopped red cabbage

1/8 tsp dried dill weed

1 tbsp cider vinegar

1 tbsp honey

1 cup tomato puree

Boil potatoes, beets, and water in saucepan over high heat until tender.  Remove vegetables to bowl, and reserve cooking liquid in pitcher.

Melt butter in large skillet, stir in onions and salt, and cook over medium heat until soft.  Stir in celery, carrot, cabbage and cooking liquid.  Cover and cook until vegetables are tender.  Stir in potatoes, beets, dill weed, vinegar, honey, and tomato puree.  Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for about 1/2 hour.  Serve with sour cream and chopped, fresh tomatoes.