Valued Contributor

Thank you everyone~ I am going to look into finding the best supplement. I found this interesting article. Make sure you read the whole article- black pepper must be consumed with turmeric. ARTICLE recommends that you find one with bioperine (another name for piperine), which is the substance that enhances absorption of curcumin by 2000%. My husband and I, along with my 92 year old mother take a good multi vitamin, COQ10, Vitamin D, Fish Oil, already, and I am going to add turmeric to our routine.

http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/

Trusted Contributor

I sprinkle turmeric on a variety of foods: soups, salads, sandwiches, vegetables, etc. I even add it to my smoothies.

I make Golden Milk Tea with coconut milk, turmeric, ginger, and honey. It is actually fairly mild tasting, IMO. I use the recipe from WellnessMama.com and was going to post it here, but her website is under construction at the moment.

Here is a similar recipe to the one I've made in the past. This one is from FreshBitesDaily.com. I probably would pass on the black pepper, but to each his own.

Turmeric Milk (aka Golden Milk)

2 c. milk (I use coconut milk)

1 tsp. dried turmeric (or 1/2" fresh turmeric thinly sliced or diced)

1 tsp. dried ginger (or 1/2" fresh ginger thinly sliced or diced)

A sprinkle of black pepper

Honey to taste

Place milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add turmeric and ginger. If you are using dried spices, stir well. Let the milk begin to simmer. Allow to heat for an additional minute, being careful not to scald milk by stirring regularly. Turn off heat, cover, and allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes to improve the infusion. If you have used fresh turmeric and ginger, strain. Add honey and black pepper and serve warm.

Valued Contributor
On 3/30/2015 Vamp said:

I sprinkle turmeric on a variety of foods: soups, salads, sandwiches, vegetables, etc. I even add it to my smoothies.

I make Golden Milk Tea with coconut milk, turmeric, ginger, and honey. It is actually fairly mild tasting, IMO. I use the recipe from WellnessMama.com and was going to post it here, but her website is under construction at the moment.

Here is a similar recipe to the one I've made in the past. This one is from FreshBitesDaily.com. I probably would pass on the black pepper, but to each his own.

Honey to taste

Place milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add turmeric and ginger. If you are using dried spices, stir well. Let the milk begin to simmer. Allow to heat for an additional minute, being careful not to scald milk by stirring regularly. Turn off heat, cover, and allow mixture to sit for about 10 minutes to improve the infusion. If you have used fresh turmeric and ginger, strain. Add honey and black pepper and serve warm.

Vamp, your recipe sounds wonderful. Please read the information in the link I provided above. Black pepper is essential for your body to properly use the medical benefits of turmeric.

Respected Contributor

Turmeric, since it is fat soluble, is best eaten with some fat in the meal, and the "piperine" in black pepper helps it to absorb better in the body.. Soy your milk drink sounds perfect!

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor
On 3/30/2015 rosehill said:
On 3/30/2015 Vamp said:

Honey to taste

Vamp, your recipe sounds wonderful. Please read the information in the link I provided above. Black pepper is essential for your body to properly use the medical benefits of turmeric.

Thanks, Rosehill. I've read that before but actually forgot about it. I use turmeric in a variety of different ways, mostly in savory items so black pepper is not a problem, but it just didn't sound good in the tea. I'll have to give it a try.

Valued Contributor
On 3/28/2015 iluvacop said: Hi little miss sunshine! I have a delicious recipe from one of my Barefoot Contessa cookbooks for a soup called Cheddar Corn Chowder. It has lots of corn, onions, potatoes, chicken broth, white cheddar, etc. I make it healthier with some of the ingredients, but it is something we make from autumn through winter. It also has turmeric in it and because my husband and I like the taste of this spice, we actually add more than the recipe calls for. If you would like the recipe or would like to know which cookbook of hers it's in, let me know!

I too would love to see this recipe as it contains lots of my favorite things! Can't wait to see the recipe. TIA

Honored Contributor

Cheddar Corn Chowder

Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten
Barefoot Contessa

Total Time: 1 hr 1 min
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 41 min
Yield:10 to 12 servings
Level:Intermediate

Ingredients

8 ounces bacon, chopped
1/4 cup good olive oil
6 cups chopped yellow onions (4 large onions)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
12 cups chicken stock
6 cups medium-diced white boiling potatoes, unpeeled (2 pounds)
10 cups corn kernels, fresh (10 ears) or frozen (3 pounds)
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, grated

Directions

In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon and olive oil until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and butter to the fat, and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.

Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cob and blanch them for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain. (If using frozen corn you can skip this step.) Add the corn to the soup, then add the half-and-half and cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a garnish of bacon.

Honored Contributor

I mostly put a tsp of powder turmeric in my smoothies or a hot milk tea similar to an above poster recipe. I try to eat at least 2 tsp a day as it really helps with the body/joint aches and pains I have as a result of chemo. Seems the powder form works better for me than the caps. I also always grind black pepper in, as those 2 are buddies. One thing I have to caution you of and that is, turmeric can stain your teeth so either brush right afterwards or swish you mouth, especially if you have any temporary dental work. Also, fresh turmeric is available for a few months now . I have a bunch stored in my freezer. Use it like ginger. I use this form in my hot teas. It has a "cleaner" taste than the powder does. I find it at my local Whole Foods at about $12.99 a lb, it looks like a smaller version of ginger so you don't need to buy the whole amount.

Honored Contributor
On 3/31/2015 ChiliPepper said:

Cheddar Corn Chowder

Recipe courtesy of Ina Garten
Barefoot Contessa

Total Time: 1 hr 1 min
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 41 min
Yield:10 to 12 servings
Level:Intermediate

Ingredients

8 ounces bacon, chopped
1/4 cup good olive oil
6 cups chopped yellow onions (4 large onions)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
12 cups chicken stock
6 cups medium-diced white boiling potatoes, unpeeled (2 pounds)
10 cups corn kernels, fresh (10 ears) or frozen (3 pounds)
2 cups half-and-half
1/2 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, grated

Directions

In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon and olive oil until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and butter to the fat, and cook for 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.

Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and turmeric and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and potatoes, bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. If using fresh corn, cut the kernels off the cob and blanch them for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain. (If using frozen corn you can skip this step.) Add the corn to the soup, then add the half-and-half and cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a garnish of bacon.

Atta girl, Chilipepper! Thanks for finding that recipe!!! Yummy! Our weather still stinks and this will warm my soul! I have everything except half & half...but I do have whole milk to use up!

1/2 tsp down....now what are we going to do w/ the rest of that jar of turmeric? LOL

I guess I better learn to start doing smoothies!

Honored Contributor

Respect, I'm gonna drink a smoothie in the shower while "doing" my hair LOL!{#emotions_dlg.lol}