Honored Contributor

Re: recipes for St Brigid's Day

Well  @Somertime  we made tuna noodle casserole with cream of mushroom soup, and  people innocently thought it was meatless...People weren't much into label reading back then..It contained chicken broth

In cases like this is, it  is the spirit of the practice that matters. Good intentions covers a multitude of sins

Respected Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

@cherry My family made Irish Potato Cakes made from leftover mashed potatoes.  Mashed potatoes, add a little flour, some caraway seeds, shape into round patty.  In a iron skillet, add bacon grease, fry patties on both sides, till brown.  Serve but split the patty through the middle, add a huge lump of butter inside and a cup of tea!  We would have these on a Friday but I, always, thought it funny using bacon grease when we could not have meat on Fridays!

@Somertime Your post made me laugh.  We always had pancakes on Friday, because of the no meat rule....and I bet Mom used some bacon grease in that skillet!  Never thought about it before!!!

Honored Contributor

This is my mother's recipe for Colcannon Soup.  I've eaten it, but never made it:

3 slices bacon cut into 1/2" pieces

1 onion, minced

1 lb leeks, half lengthwise and slice thin

4 cups chopped cabbage

2 tsp minced garlic

2 tbsp flour

1/2 cup white wine

4 cups chicken broth

12 oz red potatoes, cut into 3/4" pieces

1/2 cup heavy cream

Cook bacon in big pot until crisp.  Place bacon on paper towel and leave grease in pot. 

Stir onion, leeks, and cabbage into grease.  Cover and cook until vegetables are tender.  Stir in garlic.  Stir in flour for 1 minute to cook.

Stir in wine, scrape up fond, and simmer to lightly thicken.  Stir in broth and potatoes, and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to simmer until potatoes are tender.

Take off heat and stir in cream.  Top with drained bacon pieces.  

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  your mother must have been an amazing cook!

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@deepwaterdotter  your mother must have been an amazing cook!

I inherited only her recipe box, not her culinary gifts.  She was an amazing role model.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotterr  I think you inherited a box of delights, and I venture to say you are being  modest

grr I seem to be having a hard time posting today

Honored Contributor

St. Bridget is the much-loved Irish saint from early Christian times whose feast day is celebrated on Frebruary 1. Originally this was the Celtic festival Imbolc celebrating the first day of spring and the beginning of the new year on the farm.

Bridget is portrayed as a warm-hearted, charismatic woman - a latter day liberated lady in the best sense of the word. She was influential, travelled widely, entertained with panache and was known for her kindness to people and animals.

Bridget is the patron saint of cattle and dairy work, and her cows are said to have produced more and better milk than any other herd. She is also reputed to have been the best mead and ale maker in Ireland. She also loved to cook - and like many saints she could feed the multitude with very little.

Whip up this hearty Steak and Oyster Pie to honor Ireland's St. Brigid.

NGREDIENTS

• 1 1/2 lb best quality beef (round steak, best chuck or thick rib steak)
• 1/8-1/4 stick butter
• 8 oz onions, chopped
• 1-1 1/2 tablespoons white flour
• 2 1/2 cups homemade beef stock
• scant 2 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
• 12 native or Gigas oysters
• roux if necessary
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 9 oz puff, flaky or rough puff pastry
• egg wash
Details

Serves: 4-6

Prep Time: 1-1 1/2 hour

DIRECTIONS

1. Cut the beef into 1 1/2 inch cubes and season with salt and pepper.

2. Melt a little of the butter in a deep frying-pan and seal the meat over a high heat. Remove to a plate.

3. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes.

4. Add the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute, blend in stock, add the meat, bring to the boil, transfer to a casserole, cover and simmer on a low heat or cook in a 300 degree oven for 1 1/2-2 hours.

5. Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms in the rest of the butter in a very hot pan, season with salt and pepper, keep aside. Open the oysters and put in a bowl with their juice.

6. When the meat is tender thicken the gravy slightly with roux if necessary. Add the mushrooms, oysters and their juice to the stew and taste for seasoning.

7. Allow to cool, put into a pie dish, cover with pastry, flute the edges and decorate the top. Brush with egg wash and cook in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees and cook for a further 15-20 minutes or until the psatry is puffed and golden.

Recipe Source: Festive Food of Ireland, The by Darina Allen, Kyle Cathie Limited, 1992
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry 

Hi Cherry!

About 6 months ago, I splurged on a cookbook, "Cooking with the Saints," and thought I'd share this book's recipe for St. Brigid's Oatcakes, made with a more modern twist.

These chewy cakes have been popular with Irish children for years.  Resembling scones, these are healthful and parents can boost flavor and appeal with butter and jam.  The oatcakes are probably similar to what St. Brigid enjoyed at mealtimes.  They are also known as "Irish Oatcakes."

"St. Brigid's Oatcakes"

Ingredients:  Serves 6 or more

2 cups uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats

1-1/4 cups buttermilk

2/1-2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1/2 cup dried fruit such as raisins or coarsely chopped apricots

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp grnd cinnamon

1/4 tsp allspice

1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened

1/4 cup brown sugar

Vegetable oil spray

1.  One day ahead, combine the oats & buttermilk in a small bowl, blending thoroughly.  Cover & refrigerate overnight.

2.  When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

3.  Remove the oat mixture from the frig:  Combine the flour, dried fruit, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl.  Cut in the butter and brown sugar with a pastry blender until the butter is the size of peas.  Mix in the soaked oats and knead the dough until it comes together and is smooth.  The dough should be fairly dry, but if necessary, add a few drops of water to help bring it together.  Form the dough into a round shape about 1" thick.  Lightly spray parchment paper with vegetable oil spray, then place the round on the prepared baking sheet.  Cut the round into 6 wedges and separate the wedges slightly.

4.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a slight crust forms and a cake tester inserted into the thickest part comes out clean.  Let cool.

Enjoy ~ Rebecca

Honored Contributor

@sfnative  Sounds wonderful I have a book of feasts and seaons and  Catholic customs and traditions..I might have to get that one too..thank you I am sure it will be something that many will want to try

My Irish neighbor makes something very similar

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@sfnative  Sounds wonderful I have a book of feasts and seaons and  Catholic customs and traditions..I might have to get that one too..thank you I am sure it will be something that many will want to try

My Irish neighbor makes something very similar

@cherry 

Decided to purchase this lovely book, with many gorgeous photos, too, from The C.... Company, when they first brought it on board and offered a slight discount last year.  My granddaughter and I sit down together sometimes to see if any recipes are coming up, which might interest her.  Dinner stuff is definitely out for 6 year olds.  Appetizers, breads and dessert if big stuff!