Respected Contributor

recipe using Costco rotisserie chicken?

Does anyone have a recipe using this chicken, cut up?  Maybe something with a vegetable?  Not too many ingredients and ingredients I might already have at home?  TIA!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

Re: recipe using Costco rotisserie chicken?

I use it to make a big pot of Chicken Barley Soup.

I really don't have an exact recipe because it changes with what I have in the fridge.  But it usually contains this:

-- I cut up an onion and saute in butter and add a couple cloves of minced garlic.  

--cut up a few stalks of celery, a bag of those mini carrots and add those to the sauteed onion.  Add a big pinch of salt and pepper and a cube of chicken buillon and about a tablespoonful of poultry seasoning.

--add 2 of those boxed containers of chicken broth

--bring to a boil add a cup of dried quick cooking barley and all the cut up rotisserie chicken.

--I let it simmer on low for about 20 minutes then turn off the burner and allow it to sit for another 45 minutes.   The barley will swell up and you will have a delicious soup that's even better the next day.

It's a good way to use what is in the fridge.  I've added green beans, green peppers, potatoes in the past.  Never had a bad combination.

Honored Contributor

chicken noodle casserole.....a great basic recipe

https://www.campbells.com/recipes/turkey-noodle-casserole/

i use cream of chicken soup rather than the cream of mushroom soup. you can play around with some of the ingredients also.....try different noodles, switch out the peas for another veggie or a veggie combo.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use it to make chicken pot pie.

chicken

large can of cream of chicken soup

bag of mixed vegetables 

boiled potatoes (not to soft)

pastry for pie shells (premade)

mix in large bowl, pour into pastry lined pie dish. Cover with second pastry. Cook at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until pastry shell is brown. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spent2much   CHICKEN AND BISCUITS

Cut up chicken in bite size pieces, add a can/ jar or 2 of chicken gravy, add frozen peas, corn, carrots (or whatever you want).  Heat and simmer until frozen vegetables thawed.  

Make your own biscuits or buy canned biscuits.

Quick, easy and really good!

Valued Contributor

DH cannot go to Costco without getting one. I typically end up using the remainder of it for making casseroles that I can freeze. I've made a chicken, rice with broccoli; chicken cordon blue casserole, pot pie, chicken noodle soup.

I've also used the chicken for stir fry, tacos and have used it for homemade broth.

Respected Contributor

If you don't want to cook, make chicken salad.  I don't use a recipe, just add what sounds good.  I particularly like celery, sweetened dried cranberries and pecans or walnuts.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

How I make " chicken n dumplings "

• Saute a chopped medium onion in a big heavy pot in butter/oil combo ( couple tablespoons each)
  • Add a bag of frozen carrots n peas
  • Add a small bag of frozen corn
  • Stir around a bit gentley
  • Add teaspoon of dry thyme or more if you like
  • I add teaspoon or more poultry season or ground sage too.
  • Add box of chicken stock (broth if that is all you have, I use reduced sodium so I can salt my own)
  • Add can of Cream of Chicken Soup( reduced sodium If you wish
  • Stir to mix soup in well
  • Salt, pepper as you wish
  • Add rotisserie chicken in torn pieces 

Mix up dumpling recipe on Bisquik box ( I add ground sage and thyme herbs  and black pepper to the batter)

• When soup base is bubbling boil,drop dumplings in using two spoons. They will expand in size cooking
  • Cover with lid, turn down stove to medium low
  • Cook for 20 min or whatever recipe on Bisquick box says.

Personally I adore this dish.

Honored Contributor

Just add pieces of the chicken into a salad...easy lunch or dinner in a pinch.

Honored Contributor

@CoffeeNut   Your soup sounds really good - I love barley in soups, Do not know why but I do. Great recipe, toss in any veggies you want.