Honored Contributor

Re: ready to explode, so frustrated over hard boiled eggs

@kittyloo  I tried to post the recipe and it won't let me.  Basically you fill a pot with about a 1/2 inch of water, bring to a boil, take off flame and add eggs to the water, put back on flame and bring to a boil again.  Use medium head for a nice boil but not wildly boiling!!  Use a pot that is about the size of the number of eggs you need.  Not a great big pot and one egg or so although maybe that would work, haven't tried it.  We use large eggs. 

Put the lid on and boil 6 to 7 minutes for soft boil, 12 to 14 for hard boiled eggs.  When done drain hot water and put in cold running water in the pot or ice water when they are finished.  May need to take out an egg a minute earlier as a test to see if it is where you like it. 

If you have two layers of eggs it may take longer by a minute or two.  You don't want the eggs submerged in the water, the steam cooks them.  The water probably won't come quite up even half way on the eggs in the cooking pot.  You just want enough to boil without boiling dry.

We get very consistent results with this method, and we have no trouble peeling them.  You can just run cold water in the pot after they are done--don't need to make it ice water. 

Respected Contributor

Another 2 thumbs up on the MarkCharles Misilli egg cooker. Does a great job, throw hard boiled eggs from cooker to ice bath.

When sufficiently chilled, I roll-crack the eggs and the shells slip off easily in cold running water.

If I regularly made more than 6 hard boiled eggs, I'd look into the Copper Chef or Dash egg cookers.

Denise
Honored Contributor

DH likes deviled eggs so he makes them when he wants some. He does not like how the eggs are not easy to peel. He bought one of those egg cookers & says they come out perfect plus easy to peel.

He likes them topped with Penzey's Smoked Paprika.

Trusted Contributor

@kittyloo  Best Solution...Egglands Best pre-cooked hard boiled eggs. No peeling necessary.  Taste just as good.

Honored Contributor

As a note:  Those little egg cookes/steamers are REALLY cheap on Amazon right now! 

Super Contributor

I have no trouble cooking them, or stopping them from cooking. It’s the peeling. And I have used OLD eggs, FRESH eggs, COLD eggs, WARM eggs...I’m starting to think it just depends on the eggs. Or the chicken. Or the weather. Or the phases of the moon!!

Occasional Contributor

The one solution I've found is to imerse them in icewater as soon as they are done and let them sit for 10 full minutes.  Use plenty of ice!  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beadie

You are right as far as I have experienced.  I used to just run the hot eggs under cold water, and that worked sometimes,  Best success is to quickly immerse eggs in ice water. 

I have found steaming--not boiling-- the eggs for about 12-13 minutes works well, and then move them to a pan or bowl of ice water.  Let them sit until cold.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read the thread, but the answer is to steam them, full blast, for about 20 minutes.  Of course you need a steamer for this.  Well worth buying just for this use if you don't have one.  That may be too much time, but I'd rather be safe than sorrry.  No soft boiled eggs for me.

Respected Contributor

Instant pot is the best way to boil eggs. Pressure cooking them really makes them easy to peel. Also older eggs are better than fresh for peeling. The white lets go of the membrane around the egg better.