Valued Contributor

Re: ready to explode, so frustrated over hard boiled eggs

Googled it - why older eggs are better for boiling...maybe the ones you purchased were too fresh? 

First, they lose moisture through small pores in the shell, and the air pocket at the tip of the egg gets larger. Also, the pH level of the whites rise as they age, which makes them adhere less strongly to the shell. Follow this tip: For hard-boiled eggs that are easier to peel, use older eggs.

Honored Contributor

For an "instant" egg salad sandwich just put the mayo on the bread pretty thickly, slice the egg on top, add a little sweet pickle relish, a little salt and pepper ifyou like, onion if you like, mayo on the other slice, put on top and have egg salad!

I figured out because when I'm home alone and want egg salad, this tastes right and there is only the knife to clean up.  Now is that lazy or what?  I ask you.  .  .  LOL!!!

Like I said, we love eggs!  Scrambled, over easy, over medium, soft boiled (we even have egg cups and spoons), medium boiled, poached, hard boiled.  We almost always have hard boiled ones in the fridge.  

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo

I have this egg cooker from Mark Charles Misilli

https://www.qvc.com/Yes-Chef%21-Egg-Cooker-%26-Poacher-with-Gift-Box.product.K47543.html?sc=SRCH

I have had great success fixing hard boiled eggs with it using fresh eggs or those that were a week old or more.  I plunge them in an ice water bath after they have cooked and crack them. Then I peel them under cold running water.  It is on a "special price" right now and easy pay and you have a choice of colors.    

Honored Contributor

The eggs cooked in Mark Charles' egg cooker seem to taste better.  It makes beautiful hard boiled eggs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

you poor thing, next time go to your local Costco, they have the best hard boiled eggs.

Put 1 tsp of baking soda in water.  This definitely works.

Respected Contributor

After boiling I put eggs in a pot of cold water and crack the shells with the handle of a knife. Shells seem to come off easier.

Respected Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

@kittyloo

I have this egg cooker from Mark Charles Misilli

https://www.qvc.com/Yes-Chef%21-Egg-Cooker-%26-Poacher-with-Gift-Box.product.K47543.html?sc=SRCH

I have had great success fixing hard boiled eggs with it using fresh eggs or those that were a week old or more.  I plunge them in an ice water bath after they have cooked and crack them. Then I peel them under cold running water.  It is on a "special price" right now and easy pay and you have a choice of colors.    

This is what I use also.  I have 2 of these egg cookers.  They work beautifully and I also put immediately in cold water with ice.  I usually put mine in the fridge and eat later on a sandwich.  If you put them in ice water right away it works always.

Respected Contributor

h-m-m-m-

interesting.

i make 7 HB eggs every week because i like one for breakfast along with a tiny bit of  hummus or guacamole.  

i just boil for 11 minutes and then immediately plunge them in a big pot with lots of ice.  i shake the dickens out of that pot and .... BINGO .... the shells mostly fall right off.  only a little tugging here and there. 

i read this tip a long time ago 

Esteemed Contributor

And yet another method that always works for me. Put them in cold water, bring to a boil, when water starts boiling remove pan from heat and cover for 10 minutes. Then pour off the hot water and cover with cold water till eggs feel completely cool. I usually change the cold water a few times as the warm eggs tend to take the chill off the water at first.