Respected Contributor

ready to explode, so frustrated over hard boiled eggs

pardon my frustration while i vent a bit.  i volunteered at the last minute to bring deviled eggs to a function tomorrow. 

no problem, i'll whip those right up. buy the eggs, (3 dozen)

boil, drain cold water bath, blah, blah, blah, we all know the drill. 

start to peel them, and let me tell you, it flat out was not working. not even a little. mauled about a dozen. dh (who thinks he is a expert on every subject under the sun) says, lets pour vinegar on them. that should work. No it doesn't.Threw them all in the garbage can. 

i start for the mini mart. never been in there before. eggs were $2.99. earlier in the day, i paid $1.79. so i'm no, don't think so. off to another store. they had exactly 3 cartons on the shelf left, and they were $2.99. really??? 

so i get those, come home, and now dh has a new theory on making eggs, that he got from google.  

last thing i want to hear, is some different way to boil a EGG

like i don't know how or something.  i am 61 years old. 

i think i can make a hard boiled egg. we had to have this big discussion, on his version. you boil the water first, then add the eggs. fabulous , but no, not buying it. 

get the next batch done, and they are peeling better. not great, but better. so here it is 6:30, still havent made dinner, kitchen is in shambles, cause dd is visiting, and wants to make bread, and help with everything. everything except cleaning or washing a dish.  i'll just be glad when the eggs are on a plate, and i can have a LARGE glass of wine. 

thanks for letting me vent. i feel better already.

Honored Contributor

Re: ready to explode, so frustrated over hard boiled eggs

I hate it when this stuff happens...I rarely make develed eggs but I think I put my eggs in cold water then boil, then put a lid on off the stove and let the cook.

Today I made a coffee cake and another dish to take to a function the coffee cake looks 'odd'.....I am sure it tastes OK but why does it look odd when I have to take it somewhere???

Enjoy that glass of wine and order a pizza for dinner.

Honored Contributor

To make eggs easier to peel run cold water over them after they are hard boiled for a few minutes while still in pan.  Then put lid on and shake eggs in pan to make cracks in eggs.  Fill the pan again with cold water and let sit for about an hour then peel them using a spoon to help.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne  @kittyloo  @Mom2Dogs  You can steam eggs in about an inch of water and they will peel.  We have not had trouble doing it this way.  You can look up and there is lots of information on times if you google it.  It works!

You can buy an Instant Pot.  We have never had a hard-to-peel egg come out of that thing and we have "boiled" LOTS of eggs too!

Steam and/or pressure cooking is the way to go! 

Honored Contributor

I always put my hard-boiled eggs in cold water after they're done till they're completely cool and I've never had trouble peeling them.

EXCEPT one recent dozen I bought that had fairly thin shells.  I had a lot of trouble with a couple I boiled.  I took off part of the egg with each one.  Thankfully, I was only making egg salad for a sandwich!

Sorry you had such a frustrating experience.  It's always when we least need it - feel free to vent as much as necessary!  Woman Frustrated

Valued Contributor

Pressure Cooker!!  probably could get one for the price of all the eggs you threw away Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittyloo-

I used to get volunteered to bring deviled eggs and I did for many years. Sometimes my daughter would help.

Well, I decided that this was not fun at all.

So I stopped that. I always used to boil for 15 minutes. Then my mother told me she just brings them to a boil, then covers and turns off of the heat.

Both work but not if you have a gas stove-the hot does not stay. (My daughter found this out).I always run cold water over them while I am peeling them and this makes it easier I think.

I don't know why sometimes they are easy to peel and sometimes they just are not!

Have a glass on me too!

I no longer like to bring anything to anywhere. I end up having it go all over the car or dropping it on the way.

But I sure do appreciate the people who do like to bring things!

I used to love to bake or cook some things and now I don't at all. I don't know why. But I don't mind cleaning and washing the hardest pots and pans! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I've heard the secret is to use something less than very fresh eggs.  I always buy them a week in advance of when I intend on boiling them.  This always works for me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Fresh eggs are harder to peel.  As the eggs age they create an air bubble around them making them easier to peel.  However, best luck I ever had even with fresh eggs is to pressure cook them, use the quick release, then immediately dunk in ice water.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I have to make hard boiled eggs, I do not use ones I just purchased that day or the day before. Fresh eggs are impossible to peel.  Older eggs peel like a charm.   

I have tried every method out there to peel them cleanly, and none of them work on fresh eggs.  They should be at least a week or more old or close to their expiration date.

If I am caught at the last minute and all I have is fresh eggs, I bite the bullet and just purchase the pre boiled and peeled ones at the grocery store they sell in the bag. Then I can whip up those deviled eggs in a flash.

They are more expensive, but it saves me the headaches and frustration of having my eggs looking all mauled up.  If I maul up the eggs..I make egg salad.  There is no reason to toss them out.

FYI, I have been cooking hard "boiled" eggs in my air fryer.  No water, no mes and very easy.