Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG    Next time, be childish and choose the halibut.  It's a favorite of mine too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I know that farm raised fish have a stronger fishy smell than do wild caught fish. That's b/c farm raised have a higher fat content and fat is where most of the odor comes from.

I should have mentioned this was wild caught Alaskan salmon.  I will not buy farmed fish.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Salmon will taste fishy if it is overcooked.  

I used to have to marinate salmon in pineapple juice to get my mother to eat it.  

Respected Contributor

BTW, since it's the name of the Forum Woman Wink, here is the recipe I used (The sauce is delicious):

Baked Salmon with Dill Mustard Sauce

1 (2- to 3-pound) salmon fillet, 1 1/2-inches thick 
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 
Coarse kosher salt 
Freshly ground black pepper 
1/2 cup mayonnaise 
1/2 cup sour cream 
3 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves 
2 Tablespoons Dijon-style mustard 
2 Tablespoons minced fresh dill weed 
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of an ungreased broiling pan with aluminum foil and spray broiler rack with vegetable-oil cooking spray. Wash salmon and pat dry. Rub with olive oil, sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper, and place skin-side down onto rack. 

In a small bowl mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, Dijon mustard, dill weed, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. 

Bake salmon, uncovered, 8 to 12 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers an internal temperature of 140 to 145 degrees F (salmon will be slightly opaque in thickest part). 

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Approximate cooking times for salmon: 
1/4 to 1/3-inch - 3 to 4 minutes 
1/2 to 3/4-inch - 4 to 6 minutes 
1 to 1 1/2-inch - 8 to 12 minutes

Avoid Over Cooking!
The biggest mistake most people make in cooking salmon is to over cook it. Resist the temptation to over cook your salmon until it "flakes."  Flaking indicates the salmon is becoming dry and overcooked. 

Salmon is fully cooked when the color turns from translucent to opaque (usually white). The U.S. food and Drug Administration (FDA) suggest cooking to an Internal Temperature of 145º F. 

Buy a good cooking or meat thermometer and please use it!

Respected Contributor

The sauce sounds delicious. Do you spread it on the fish after cooking it?  I've seen recipes where you spread the sauce on the fish or chicken before cooking.  Maybe the sauce is supposed to kill the fishy taste.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "fishy" fish

[ Edited ]

I know that salmon is (and has been) very popular, but it's never been a favorite of mine because of the stronger taste and the odor when cooking it inside. I prefer the milder white fish that are caught off either of our coasts. I no longer buy farm raised, imported Tilapia.

I don't think it has to do with the cooking method. Some types of fish are just stronger. I would question the freshness of the fish from an open market fish vendor, but that's not an option for me. I only buy frozen from my local grocer's fish department becaise I don't want a piece of fresh fish sitting in my refrigerator for more than a day. .

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne     @IamMrsG  is a wonderful, gourmet cook.  She wouldn't be one to overcook a piece of salmon. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: "fishy" fish

[ Edited ]

@IamMrsG wrote:

Is it indicative of the quality of the fish or of the cooking?  Threw away half of tonight's salmon fillet.    😢

It's usually indicative of the amount of time that has passed since it was caught and the temperature it was held under. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

Is it indicative of the quality of the fish or of the cooking?  Threw away half of tonight's salmon fillet.    😢

It's usually indicative of the amount of time that has passed since it was caught and the temperature it was held under. 

Exactly and if the fish has a high fat content, the more smelly it can get. That's just the nature of fat and how it degrades over time with temperature being a huge factor.

Respected Contributor
@Kachina624, Thank you for your support; however, I'm afraid you’re too generous in assessment of my skills.  Speaking of culinary skills, based on her posts, DiAnne is no slouch in the kitchen either.  @DiAnne, your  suggestion that overcooking could set salmon ‘off’ is correct.  It certainly could have, but I used a thermometer, and took the fish off heat at 146º.  

@Mindy D and @SilleeMee, I think your thoughts about age and earlier handling of the delicate fish was probably the issue with my dinner.  I did some back-checking with the store and learned the fish was “refreshed.”  For the uninitiated, it’s a slick marketing term that means “previously frozen, now thawed.”  Lesson learned: Put on your glasses and read the small print.  

Thanks, @Everyone, for all your ideas.  Tonight's dinner will be Mushroom Fettuccine Alfredo, so I'm expecting a more enjoyable meal.